Credit Fish Lifts

john from craa

The steelhead lift and transfer is done every night at 5 PM at the Streetsville Dam on the Credit.

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS to lift and transfer fish. Only 7 guys tonight and 300 fish that need a lift. We need 20 people for that many fish!

Here is a map to the access. http://www.craa.on.ca/streetsviller.shtml

Lifts start at 5 PM and runs until we are done, often 8-10 PM each night.

If we do not lift and trasnport the fish there will be no run of steelhead and no fishing in the lower Credit.

There are several steelheaders that fish the Credit often and post pics all the time on this site and have not been out to the ladder to help. Maybe you guys can take a few hours off fishing and help the fish. If we do not have enough help we will have to cancel the lifts. And then the run will suffer and so will fishing.

For those that have been out...thank you.

John

The steelhead lift and transfer is done every night at 5 PM at the Streetsville Dam on the Credit.

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS to lift and transfer fish. Only 7 guys tonight and 300 fish that need a lift. We need 20 people for that many fish!

Here is a map to the access. http://www.craa.on.c...etsviller.shtml

Lifts start at 5 PM and runs until we are done, often 8-10 PM each night.

If we do not lift and trasnport the fish there will be no run of steelhead and no fishing in the lower Credit.

There are several steelheaders that fish the Credit often and post pics all the time on this site and have not been out to the ladder to help. Maybe you guys can take a few hours off fishing and help the fish. If we do not have enough help we will have to cancel the lifts. And then the run will suffer and so will fishing.

For those that have been out...thank you.

John

Hey John,

Simon from Streetsville here. Further to some of the other postings, can you provide some further details;

1. Are waders required- unfortunately, I nor my sons do not own any.

2. Sorry, but the access map is a little vague. How do we access the damn? East or West side?

3. Is there something I can do besides lift (not being sarcastic here)? Is there tagging or recording/documenting required?

4. Do we have to arrive exactly @ 5:00? Is 6ish okay?

Please post a response ASAP. I'm pretty sure that I can put in some hours over the next few nights (penidng your reply).

Regards,

Another question.

How long does it typically take? I know there's a locked gate that blocks the access to the path at the top of the cliff so let's say if I have to leave after an hour, I wouldn't be able to get back to where we park?

And are there any pictures from previous years of you guys doing this? That would give us a better idea of what it's like and perhaps encourage other people. I'm not much of a river guy so I have no idea really what's happening at these fish lifts.

Hey John,

Simon from Streetsville here. Further to some of the other postings, can you provide some further details;

1. Are waders required- unfortunately, I nor my sons do not own any.

2. Sorry, but the access map is a little vague. How do we access the damn? East or West side?

3. Is there something I can do besides lift (not being sarcastic here)? Is there tagging or recording/documenting required?

4. Do we have to arrive exactly @ 5:00? Is 6ish okay?

Please post a response ASAP. I'm pretty sure that I can put in some hours over the next few nights (penidng your reply).

Regards,

Hey pikeslayer.

2. I haven't been there to do this but I have been there to see the steep view of the credit and Streetsville.

You can park on Drenkelly at the end. It's a court. There's a catwalk there that takes you to a cemetery and a path down to the river but this path is blocked by a locked up gate.

4. Which is why I guess you have to arrive before 5pm.

The guys like to get started early and yes we have to lock the gate because it is private property and we have strict rules. If you can make it after 5 then please call my personal cell phone # 416-592-0718 and I will get in touch with the many workers to come up and open the gate for you.

Waders are a good thing but rain pants will do for most of the work done. There are many jobs to be done down there and the person in charge will direct you based on how many people show.

Guys , this is a really cool experience for anyone even if you don't fish! Remember you must be 16 years old to attend as well.

thanks

Joseph

The guys like to get started early and yes we have to lock the gate because it is private property and we have strict rules. If you can make it after 5 then please call my personal cell phone # 416-592-0718 and I will get in touch with the many workers to come up and open the gate for you.

Waders are a good thing but rain pants will do for most of the work done. There are many jobs to be done down there and the person in charge will direct you based on how many people show.

Guys , this is a really cool experience for anyone even if you don't fish! Remember you must be 16 years old to attend as well.

thanks

Joseph

Thanks for the update Joseph.

I will dig for the rainware and goloshes when I get home tonite and will plan on attending tomorrow with my son-in-law. We should be able to make it for 5:00.

As Yush mentioned, do we access via Drenkelly on the east side?

Great response guys, I've also had several pm's. Many hands make light work and this is a huge undertaking. But we all benefit in the end with a better fishery in the river and a little extra help in the lake.

youtube links on the process:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CreditRiverAnglers?feature=mhum#p/f/15/K0cqo1JHGvs

http://www.youtube.com/user/CreditRiverAnglers?feature=mhum#p/u/6/PuGT92_xWc8

Expect to get wet, so bring extra clothes. Come in from the east side and park at the end of Drenkelly Court.

Keep in mind every night is different. Some days we have 300 fish and 10 people, other nights we have more people than fish. Not easy to predict, but cold and cloudy is slower, warm and sunny is busy as a rule. We need people to net fish, lift them, sort them, carry to tray for meaduring, come along and release them on transfers and release others at the dam, plus people to record data. Waders are not needed for some jobs, but rain pants are a good call...and a jacket that can get a little fish slime on it. Chest waders are needed for a few jobs.

Having too many fish is a great problem caused mainly by volunteers doing this for the past 5 years.

Most of our volunteers have full time jobs and family commitments including myself. But they still find the time or make the time to come and help the fish. Fishing is not just about catching fish, its about so much more. Some guys drive from Markham each night, others from downtown Toronto after work. And if you can't help here, help in your community. Most areas have fishing groups and they need your help too.

John

John & Joseph,

The map attached to the original post is somewhat outdatedwhistling.gif .

here is a google map link for anyone who is interested;

http://maps.google.c...drenkelly+court,+mississauga&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Drenkelly+Ct,+Mississauga,+ON&gl=ca&ei=CQamTZbuOsnpgAfLmdjFCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAA

I will be there @ 5:00 this evening.

Slayer

Thanks for everyone's help, our permit to transfer is coming to an end by Sunday we should be done, we will advise

Sadly if there are any more fish that could be lifted the MNR wont let us, and the steelhead will be forced to spawn in water that isnt capable of any reproduction

The next lift will be Sunday/Monday based on weather. Louis or I will post when we know based on weather. Last night was a bit slow with only 40 fish lifted.

Thanks to many new faces that came out the past 2-3 nights from the OFC board. Awesome work guys/gals! It is an awesome experience to see a lot of bows, help the fish and give a little back.

Great pics Slayer.

John

Edited by john from craa