Annual Fishing Trips and the Meetings

lplp

Well it is that time of year and probable most of you have an annual fishing trip planned, We have ares organized after the last one in june ,and usually booked right away ,.My question is ,what do you guys do for your trips to prepare ,we have a meeting and see what food each is required to bring and supplies.We used to go pretty crazy on this list and would cost each of us 200 dollars in years past ,last year we got it down to 75 each ,and this year should even be cheaper .Just curious on how you handle food and how much .We have 8 going this year ,so we buy breakfast for each person each day(eggs,peameal bacon,bread) also we bring up our own snacks that you get yourself .We plan on eating fish most days but sometimes that doesnt happen so we plan a few meals also , like hamburgers ,hotdogs ,potatoes. You supply your own booze and mix ,.We share the cost of cottage and dockage between all 8 . We have a list going and gets knocked down each year as we dont need most things anymore . Anybody have any good lists they would like to share . The hardest part is to get these guys together for the meeting and ours is scheduled a week before we go this year.. Well as you can see i am looking forward to our trip this year and is less than 2 months away now ,,

For the few I've done, snacks and booze are a personal expense, everyone brings what the want to get sick on. For the rest, I make a rough calculation for bread, butter, eggs, bacon and add a couple dollars to the total cost of the adventure. As for the main supper meals, (ice fishing adventures) I cook up a few LARGE meals that can be reheated on or in the oven. Lac St Jean Tourtiere is the #1 favourite, a great big pot of turkey soup/stew you can stand a fork in or a big pot of chicken and pork ragout with potatoes. If there's any leftovers, 12fotspringbok makes off with the Tourtiere pot, the rest I take back home.

For our yearly fly-in trip, we have one guy do all the food, planning meal by meal, it seems to avoid waste and on a fly in weight is limited, everybody pays their portion of the cost

one afternoon at Costco can get most of it done

We have a list we have fine tuned over the years, one guy is responsible for all the food and brings us the bills to split it up. We eat like kings and have very little waste and next to nithing coming home. The trick is to plan each meal.

We came up to your great country for over 30 years and our food cost dropped for at least 10 years and then pretty much leveled out. Usually we didn't buy food until we were all together and in Canada. We had a list and if it wasn't on the list and you wanted it you bought it seperate from the kitty money. We ate very well including steak and or Cornish hens, fish about 3 nights and spaghetti one night. We had the list down to the number of potatoes per meal per person. We went to a boat in place and didn't want to carry any extra in or out. At the begining we had lunch on the lake either a shore lunch or sandwiches but we changed to our big meal in the cabin at mid day and sandwiches at night. Breakfast was simple a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee or juice or both. We had some snacks such as crackers etc for a mid morning break.

My fishing partner and I have been doing our three trips a year since 2005. Prior to that it was one main 4 to 15 day trip in July since 1979. We had to extend that trip one day per year over a few years to satisfy "the significant others". Now we think they're glad to be rid of us. LOL. That trip is still part of the three. The one's added are 8 day ones in early June and Sept.

Our meals are planned daily and kept on computer from year to year. Each meal is planned in case we get skunked fishing. We usually eat a late breafast, little or no lunch and a good supper with appropriate libation. We eat like kings for the first 8 - 9 days, then it's the canned stuff that comes out if there's no fish. The canned stuff hasn't come very often. We do the grocery shopping together about 5 days before we go so that steak, pork chops, chicken and ground beef can be frozen. It's only canned stuff that come back.

We also have master lists for all equipment and personal items. Luckily, we're both retired.

Edited by Tootsie II