Propane People...I got a question

A coworker has switched from propane to gas for his BBQ and offered me his two 20LB tanks since he has no use for them anymore. They are both 5 years old. Since they are free I was just going to fill them and use as spares at the cottage and at home.

My question. Is there a time frame as to how long propane can be stored in a tank? Are they going to be OK if they sit full for a number off years or should I leave them empty until I intend to use them? And does long term storage in the 20LB tank itself have any effect on the quality of the propane? I'm all for getting the tanks for free but if propane spoils...for lack of a better word...or the tanks are damaged by sitting awhile either full or unfull without being used...I'll pass on this freebie.

Thx all for any help you can offer.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Tanks must be reinspected after 10 years and revalved. The best suggestion I have for you is to take them to a swap station and grab the two newest dated tanks that you can find in the rack. (around $20/tank swap)

As for empty vs full.. nothing worse than a completely empty tank sitting around. If air gets in it...it will have to be purged before refilling with propane.

Then with these nice new 20lb ones on hand... you have a few winters of refilling 1 pounders ahead of you!! LOL

Edited by irishfield

Then with these nice new 20lb ones on hand... you have a few winters of refilling 1 pounders ahead of you!! LOL

Heaters and stoves are for ice fishing sissies :whistling: or do I not have that cool stuff because I'm a walker and don't wanna drag out the extra weight...lol...so I have never entertained the idea of refilling the 1 pounders.

Thx for the reply Wayne.

Tanks must be reinspected after 10 years and revalved. The best suggestion I have for you is to take them to a swap station and grab the two newest dated tanks that you can find in the rack. (around $20/tank swap)

As for empty vs full.. nothing worse than a completely empty tank sitting around. If air gets in it...it will have to be purged before refilling with propane.

You'll just need one of them fancy adaptors I've heard so much about.

Sorry couldn't resist :whistling:

CPH.. if you have nothing you use propane for then the tanks aren't much use to you, but you could pass them onto family or friends that indeed could use a spare tank for their BBQ or ice fishing expeditions.

I have a propane BBQ at both the cottage and at home, but I also have 20 LB spares for both. One of the tanks here at home is 8 years old...the cottage has an older one too but I won't know the age until I get up there to check it.

I'm going to take them regardless because as you pointed out even if I don't need them today...I'm sure I will find someone who would appreciate them.