Trailer addition

mikdor

Hello all do it yourselfers

We have an older 60ft. trailer and are thinking of putting a 12 ft addition on the side about 20 ft. long.Has anyone ever do such a thing and do you have any ideas or hints that would be helpful.

Thanks mikdor

first thing to consider.Is the trailer on a fondation.If not, you will have to do some serious structural framing of the base/floor so that in winter thaw,both the old and new sections move together as a single unit.

first thing to consider.Is the trailer on a fondation.If not, you will have to do some serious structural framing of the base/floor so that in winter thaw,both the old and new sections move together as a single unit.

GREAT advice ! ! !

Is this your permanent home or cottage style. Additions required building permits and a whole bunch of hoops and loops to jump through. If you haven't done it yet, go see your local municipal office for requirements for a start. Good luck.

Is this your permanent home or cottage style. Additions required building permits and a whole bunch of hoops and loops to jump through. If you haven't done it yet, go see your local municipal office for requirements for a start. Good luck.

If you want it to flow together and you can find good steel under it... I'd weld 3 I beam's to both existing trailer rails out to where you want the new wall. One beam for each end of the room.. one for the middle. C channel down the front to join the 3 I beams together and then floor joist it as required. 3 support posts, one at each I beam/C channel junction.

If you ever have to move it a cut saw with 12 or 14" wheel will "disconnect" it ! :w00t:

Did something similar - cut 24 feet off the roof (12 feet either way from center) of 50 foot construction trailer sitting on concrete piers, added 2nd story small loft.

Added 24 foot extension along side to match cut out area of roof. Built the extension on a crawl space basement made of pressure treated foundation 4 feet high. Came down from peak of roof over loft to meet 8 foot high wall of extension for nice cathedral ceiling. Included exterior vents to heat loft from wood stove.

Pump and other non-freezable stuff locates in insulated crawl space. Have no problem with heaving or slipping - crawl space footings and concrete piers below frost line.

Have also seen people built a concrete block basement under their mobile home/trailer with good results.

If you want it to flow together and you can find good steel under it... I'd weld 3 I beam's to both existing trailer rails out to where you want the new wall. One beam for each end of the room.. one for the middle. C channel down the front to join the 3 I beams together and then floor joist it as required. 3 support posts, one at each I beam/C channel junction.

If you ever have to move it a cut saw with 12 or 14" wheel will "disconnect" it ! :w00t:

or if you are not a welder you can "pack" the frame with wood by bolting to the frame of the trailer then hang joist hangers off the lumber attached to the frame...build out from the under carrage and then up from there....even if it isnt close to the ground ...use pressure treated wood for you under structure and floor sheeting ...

Cheers