HDS 7 and i-pilot

OK so I got the new boat and got a nice suprise. I thought I was just getting a 80lb terrova with universal sonar but they put the one with I-pilot on it so I have this amazing trolling motor but I don't have a fishfinder/GPS for the bow so I'm wondering if anyone has used the features of the Ipilot and should I try to find a extention to hook it up to my HDS 7 at the helm .I'm taking my little bro out fishing next weekend I cant wait to play with all this technology gonna take awhile to figure things out .I haven't even looked for a extention for the I-pilot cable so I don't even know if it availible.

OK so I got the new boat and got a nice suprise. I thought I was just getting a 80lb terrova with universal sonar but they put the one with I-pilot on it so I have this amazing trolling motor but I don't have a fishfinder/GPS for the bow so I'm wondering if anyone has used the features of the Ipilot and should I try to find a extention to hook it up to my HDS 7 at the helm .I'm taking my little bro out fishing next weekend I cant wait to play with all this technology gonna take awhile to figure things out .I haven't even looked for a extention for the I-pilot cable so I don't even know if it availible.

My guess is the cable you are talking about is for the built in transducer.

If it is you can use the motor without having to hook it up to a sonar and still use the GPS functions built into the motor. You can also add a bow mount sonar at some point and hook it up to the motor for sonar capabilities. There are adapter cables made for a variety of sonars so you can pretty much pick what ever sonar you want.

My guess is the cable you are talking about is for the built in transducer.

If it is you can use the motor without having to hook it up to a sonar and still use the GPS functions built into the motor. You can also add a bow mount sonar at some point and hook it up to the motor for sonar capabilities. There are adapter cables made for a variety of sonars so you can pretty much pick what ever sonar you want.

it's for the ducer and syncing to the HDS unit there's features in both that will make it easier to use the I-pilot (like making a way point and it will take you there) that I don't know will work without connecting the 2 I have 2 novels worth of manuals to read so I will figure it out eventually just hoping to find a easy answer LOL :w00t:

well you will want the transducer on the trolling motor hooked up to the fishfinder at the front of the boat , and if it's compatible with the hds at the helm you can network them but my understanding is, nothing but transducer info will go to the front fishfinder from the ipilot..I didn't see any networking from the ipilot unless they have upgraded from when they first came out

i just inatalled the ipilot on my riptide.....same as the terrova ...plug n play....but i havent read or seen any connection to an external gps.....ive always wondered why they havent partnered up.....ive even asked at radio world and they told me nothing exist as of yet.....althought it would be sweet if they did.....

BRING ON THE SOFT WATER!!!!!!!!

Edited by workwear

It all depends on which trolling motor you have on the bow...if it's a Minn Kota® 70 PowerDrive™ V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot and Universal Sonar 2 then you're good to go as far as hooking up to a HDS unit...but the best way would be to hook it up to a HDS unit at the bow and then have that unit networked together with a Ethernet cable (the yellow connection on the back of the units to your other HDS unit at the console...now you can read what the bow mounted transducer is picking up from anywhere in the boat OR use the transom mounted transducer....your choice..... :)

HOWEVER, if you only have a Minn Kota® 70 PowerDrive™ V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot WITHOUT Universal Sonar 2 then you need to add transducer to your TM....and then network it together as already explained.

Have Fun with the new Fishing Machine,

Bob

That's awesome!

It all depends on which trolling motor you have on the bow...if it's a Minn Kota® 70 PowerDrive™ V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot and Universal Sonar 2 then you're good to go as far as hooking up to a HDS unit...but the best way would be to hook it up to a HDS unit at the bow and then have that unit networked together with a Ethernet cable (the yellow connection on the back of the units to your other HDS unit at the console...now you can read what the bow mounted transducer is picking up from anywhere in the boat OR use the transom mounted transducer....your choice..... :)

HOWEVER, if you only have a Minn Kota® 70 PowerDrive™ V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot WITHOUT Universal Sonar 2 then you need to add transducer to your TM....and then network it together as already explained.

Have Fun with the new Fishing Machine,

Bob

it's a 80lb terrova and from the sounds of the replies I think the mechanic at the marina was full of it :dunno: I will do some reading and figure it out should have done that in the first place LOL