Custom Rod Building

ah_long

There's a niche there for someone to fill locally I can tell you that. Or anywhere in Canada for that matter!

There is NO real good source to buy components (at least the ones I need) in Canada.

I'm constantly ordering stuff online. Either Mudhole, Jann's Netcraft, Anglers Workshop or Schoff.

Angling Specialties should have the basics (epoxy finish, guides, maybe some cork..)

well... I'm already looking @ the wrapper/dryer on mudhole.. compared to my car detailing equipment, this is actually a lot cheaper than I thought it would be...

I'll check out angling specialties before I order anything online

any sources for blanks in Canada?

I have tied 1 mudhole mhx blank and have 2 more on the way - they are nice blanks - light and fast. I will buy more.

They are supposed to be copies of the imx blanks. They are a great price. Even after paying duty they are cheaper than Canadian prices and a great product too. They are as nice as st croix avid blanks and feel just like loomis imx blanks. Have not fished them yet so we will see how sensitive they are - though they are getting great reviews on the net.

I found it cheapest to buy most of my stuff through mudhole as their prices are lower than here on everything. I just picked up my epoxy and winding checks here.

If u r near Cambridge you can stop by and check them out if u like.

I have the sj 842 (7', 6 - 12 lb), and these are on their way: ds 822(6'10 drop shot) and sj 720(6' crappie rod) blanks

Landry

It was pricey - 25 bucks plus some charges (30) here too.

My buddy and I made 2 rods from one order that worked out to 120 for each, tax included (all supplies included, even those bought here).

they are great rods at that price. We dressed them up nice but did not buy expensive guides as that can really drive cost up quickly.

You are pretty much looking at that or more if you buy in Canada - even with a low end blank.

Landry

PS: the stuff got here in 4 days!!!!!

I am getting my parents to sneak my next 2 rods back from Florida but the shipping cost 20 and the FLA tax was 9 so I wish I hadn't bothered as I will likely only save 35 bucks or so in the end. Still - that's 30$ or so in my pocket.

For supplies locally, Angling Specialties, has blanks (St. Croix, Lamiglas, Sage), guides, epoxy, cork (and other handle materials like foam and ), thread, brushes and almost anything you need to build a rod. I also bought a Flex Coat rod turning motor through AngSpec but I still prefer turning my rods by hand. It does come in handy though when it's late and you're busy doing other stuff around the house. I still use the same rod wrapper George gave me when I was 15.

Here's one online place in Canada that sells rod building stuff:

http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com/index.php

I've personally never ordered from them but know a few people who have...They've had great experiences dealing with them.

I've ordered from Mudhole a number of times. Great selection to choose from. Shipping costs for me usually were 25-65% of the order cost to get it to my door. Long and/or heavy items will be more expensive to ship.

In Ontario, you can always talk to:

- Spiel here on OFC

- John Collina (JC tackle in Caledonia)

- Billy at Wilsons hooked me up with some components for my fly rods.

Mike