Hello Mr. Officer...

manitoubass2

I went out fishing today(from shore) for a few hours. Bite was slow, but I managed a few decent fish, biggest was a 22" walleye.

There was one boat near me with 4 people fishing as well, when the MNR pulled up in the boat. I don't mean to listen in, but I could here them off loading beer bottles from the boat, and they spent a good 30-40 minutes talking with them. I'm assuming they got fined for at least something. Anyhow, the boat left when the MNR was done with them.

Then the 2 officers pulled up near shore to chat with me. I'm very happy about that, it's been over two years since I was last checked fishing that spot on the Rainy river. He asked how the bite was, I replied slow. He asked how many I had landed and their size, I told him I landed 4 fish, all but one in the 17-18" range, but I released all but one 22". He said "nice! What did you catch them on?" YUM 6" salted worms wacky rigged on a jig head I replied. He laughed, said thats different. He helped me take a few pictures of my fish then said good luck and was on his way.

I'm just glad to see them out checking, but also appreciate how kind they were. It's really an awesome thing when the power doesn't get into their heads.

Keep up the good work officers!

2 CO's were out in Oshawa last night checking everyone. So I just walked over before I even got my gear out of the car and showed my card to him. Both guys were very polite and told us the bite was slow as most of the fish had moved North.

There was one C.O. down at the mouth of the Rouge on Mon. night , he was checking all fisherpersons for paperwork, good job I say! Last year when I was down there( Sept), I saw him( same C.O.) write out tickets to two persons without a licience, he made them leave but did not take their stuff.

Edited by fishermccann

Yup, that's cool. I was checked for the first time ever this past ice season. Fishing on the hamilton harbour with my son and just as we were reeling up a pike a CO popped his head in the window to say hi, chatted for a few minutes, asked if he wanted to see my license, he said sure. Let the pike swim off, handed him my card. Talked a few more minutes and he was off. Was amazing seeing the mnr down there. LOTS of illegal fishing goes on there. One guy was dinged that day for either too many lines down or no license. Possibly both.