For the fly fisherman

huntervasili

Those are some kind words

LOL. :lol:

I never understood fly tiers, a lot of work and time for such a small creation that you can buy for far less than the effort, but they do look great and I bet you nail some nice fish with them, you'll feel good that you caught something you made with your own hands.

Yup... I love it and no better a feeling than catching a fish with a fly you made and even better if it was your design... Eventually it is worth it... the initial investment is alot and learning to tie is time consuming but after you learn a fly you can tie them quickly, till you ghet a new one then you have to get good at it then its easy again... Besides that though its really easy :P

Ohh and GbayGiant, the amount of hackle and maribou in each of your musky baits in your signature is enough to last me a couple doz flies lol... I use several individual strands of it on each fly not thousands as you have in the spinnerbait :)

Very nice use of rabbit strip. Are any of the collars made of rabbit (crosscut) or are they synthetic? I notice that only the last picture shows any kind of body and the back end of the rabbit strip tied down. I tend to use ice dub, pearl mostly for steelhead and blending colours for rainbow & bass, for the body. I also have used mylar tubing over a built up hook shank and found it effective as a body.

I find the magnum rabbit strip a little too wide and have found narrower strip from private sellers or I have used an exacto knife and a straight edge to thin or taper the strip. I also have split the tail strip on darker colours to more closely imitate the leech action on retrieve.

This pattern can fool big browns and rainbows especially if the size and colour can imitate local leech, baitfish, crayfish. It may scare the smaller fish but they can be caught all day long on nymphs and dries.

PDR_0423.jpg

PDR_0424.jpg

PDR_0422.jpg

If you figure that there is about 50 cents worth of material and about 10 minutes work then this fly is worth about $4-5. I have not found a spoon, jig or minnow type lure in that price range that is as effective.

Very nice looking patterns. These flys are searching patterns and will work on the Grand. You really enjoy tying, it is an art and a thrill when you land a fish on your own tied pattern.

John

Hey baldy... actually they all have body material... some have olive others black... as well I used rabbit as the collar for black and white... The others have maribou... The last one I am going to try to use for pikers and bass but maybe an early trout will eat him... Thanks for the compliments guys...

Leech patterns are such a "go to" pattern for me. Here is a couple of small items.....try a jointed leech and try a plastic funnel head (sorry I have no pictures; it creates an amazing action). The patterns shown look solid...I thought the skunk pattern one looked interesting in lakes, streams with a high whitefish, chub population, given the colours used. I also liked the touch of green neck, thinking about Canadian Shield pothole lakes say north of Kingston for brookies.

By chance have any of you flyguys and gals tryed chironomid patterns for Ontario brookies and rainbows? I am very curious as it is very common where I work in BC. and I have been pondering their effectiveness back home....early spring for ice out brookies is my thought.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

Yup... I have tied a number of chronie paterns... heres one example that I have caught browns and bows on...

RedChironomidchartgills.jpg

I have a bunch more but thats the one I used the most... Last year I was very conservative with fly offerings, keeping them small and very subtle...

Bill Parker

I am very very curious about how well you have done using chironomid patterns back home. I work in BC/AB and yes I know all of the proverbial who's who in FF here, but comically....have no interest in it here. But....I am very interested in its application back home. I hope you have some insite.

The avids out here that like chironimid fishing .....thrive on it..... But....does it actually work with such consistency back home?

Regards

outdoorguy61

I have a couple oif questions for you... first of all, what are the rivers you would be targetting? as well what time of year... the chromie's tend to be good when all else is slow because they tend to be in the water more often but take alot of energy for so little food for trout... A trout would much rather eat the hendrickson than 10 chironomids which could be equal in energy value because it takes much less energy... Chronies are one of the main things out west as you have mentioned for many reasons, which I am not fully familiar with... Best thing to do though here is to Match the hatch and give the trout what they are used to eating and what is hatching...

Feel free to PM me any other questions as I am more than happy to help if I can... Either way I hope that helps some, maybe we can hook up sometime.

Bill

When I look at the chironomid pattern you have posted, this could be good for say the Bow River given the success of the San Juan Worm there, or maybe Medicine Lake with the bloodworm.

I am mostly thinking of iceout brookies or some select summer days with a sinking line for brookies, all lakes north of the Napanee-Kingston area. It seems like it sguts down so quickly there, and despite my past success at extending the envelope of time, I always like the idea of trying something different than what a fish is used to experiencing. It is perhaps a silly strategy but one that has been for the most part extremely consistent for me in most parts of Canada.

Anyways...just a note.

outdoorguy61

Well they look nice to me Bill....I am interested in taking up fly fishing this year....we have sherkston quarry down here that is stocked with rainbows, browns and brookies. It is perfect place for learning to fly fish. If I send you some money would you make me some fly's to try out flyfishing there! Now do most flies float on the top of the water as that would be mostly what I am looking for as the trout in the quarry stay close to the top in the summer.

Well I don't know from flies, but they look good to me, don't know why linweir would say they won't wouldn't work. I envy you your talent and patience, not something I have in this particular area.

Keep up the good work and be sure to post the pictures of the fish you catch on those.

Maureen

lineweir, you are really missing out by not using streamers as that is what catches the big fish... Ask anyone who fishes browns on the grand and they will tell you big streamers and leech patterns are what you will wnat to use... For those of you who are interested in buying flies, I am more than willing to co-operate as I have sold many of my flies in the past... Shoot me a pm with some info about what and where you are going to fish or which flies you want and i will reply ASAP... also note that the flies in the pictures are the first or second attempt at tying them and I am confident that they will look better as I progress through each pattern... I have pics of all the flies anyone may be interested in... Thanks for the kind words

Bill