Worms for Fly-In

sneak_e_pete

Black Bucktail Jigs......no bait of any kind...

BassFishingwithBilly6-12-10002.jpg

Was that shot taken on a fly in Billy Bob?? :thumbsup_anim:

We do agree on this issue though. I wouldn't bring any organic bait on a fly in. If you need live bait on a fly in, time to find another location. Besides some frozen ciscoes for off the dock fishing in Red Lake last summer, I haven't used organic bait anywhere in well over a decade.

Hey I didn't say you wouldn't catch lots of fish on a fly in without bait, just that you'll catch even more.

What can I say I'm greedy. :dunno::lol:

I'll guarantee you the walleye fishing out of Folyet doesn't hold a candle to what you'll find north of Nakina.

Anyhow Rob, we can test this out scientific-like next September.

Gulp VS Live Worms

Get ready to ruuumble!

:D

I agree.....my first Fly-In was out of Nakina...a lake they called Aba (short for a hard to say Indian name)..there was 8 of us, one was a outdoor writer who kept count everyday of each boat's catch...at the end of the week we caught 1080 walleyes and 278 pike.... :thumbsup_anim:

We had no bait with us.

I agree.....my first Fly-In was out of Nakina...a lake they called Aba (short for a hard to say Indian name)..there was 8 of us, one was a outdoor writer who kept count everyday of each boat's catch...at the end of the week we caught 1080 walleyes and 278 pike.... :thumbsup_anim:

We had no bait with us.

Well I'm not going argue the live bait point anymore. Each to their own. :)

Funny you mention Abamassagi though. Ironically enough I'm bringing my wife and two young kids there for a week in July. :D

I will be bringing worms.

We'll double your count easy. :lol:

Was that shot taken on a fly in Billy Bob?? :thumbsup_anim:

We do agree on this issue though. I wouldn't bring any organic bait on a fly in. If you need live bait on a fly in, time to find another location. Besides some frozen ciscoes for off the dock fishing in Red Lake last summer, I haven't used organic bait anywhere in well over a decade.

YES, don't you see the plane big propellers in the back ground...LOL

That was on Erie in front of the old steel plant...I only used it as a example....

When the water is warm and fish are bugging (eating bugs on the bottom) a all black bucktail jig looks like a bug to them. I have probably caught more fish (mostly walleye and smallmouth) than any other bait/lure I have every used.

While crappie fishing I also use jigs (no bait) in white or chartreuse mostly.

Bob

Well I'm not going argue the live bait point anymore. Each to their own. :)

Funny you mention Abamassagi though. Ironically enough I'm bringing my wife and two young kids there for a week in July. :D

I will be bringing worms.

We'll double your count easy. :lol:

I hope you do....great lake for walleyes and the kids will have a ball...

True story.....the guy I teamed up with in my boat on that trip NEVER casted all week long....he just dropped his jig down to the bottom (7-8') and jigged it along as we drifted the current areas while he drank JD and beer non stop, even in the morning with his coffee.....I would be dead if I drank half of what he did.

Make sure you rest before going, you're going to need it... :D

I hope you do....great lake for walleyes and the kids will have a ball...

True story.....the guy I teamed up with in my boat on that trip NEVER casted all week long....he just dropped his jig down to the bottom (7-8') and jigged it along as we drifted the current areas while he drank JD and beer non stop, even in the morning with his coffee.....I would be dead if I drank half of what he did.

Make sure you rest before going, you're going to need it... :D

It's going to be a fun trip for sure. Aba as you're well aware is a walleye factory.

First trip to a truly outstanding destination for my two little ones. Can't wait to get them onto a pile of fish. :)

Should be an interesting adventure too.

We've booked one of the camps but instead of flying in a local Ojibway is going to take us down the river by boat into the lake.

We had no bait with us.

Bob, join me in May and the two of us will probably match your 8 man catch, without live bait. Ask JP about May 2005. Ask Whopper about May 2007, May 2008 & May 2009. Ask me about May 2004. And on and on and on. Jigs and grubs for walleyes. JSM and Suicks for pike.

I don't count fish. Measure my success by the ton.

Besides some frozen ciscoes for off the dock fishing in Red Lake last summer, I haven't used organic bait anywhere in well over a decade.

I understand. Fishing was so good that your beer got warm before you could drink it. You'll miss Red Lake after retirement. Get ready for company. The annual May invasion is coming.

Holy replies. I agree that live bait might not be necessary, but I'm driving 18 hours, spending 2 years savings, and am inaccessible for a week. If a flat of worms is going to make the difference, I am going to bring them....just in case. I live in Grimsby and am looking for a shop that will sell in bulk.

Holy replies. I agree that live bait might not be necessary, but I'm driving 18 hours, spending 2 years savings, and am inaccessible for a week. If a flat of worms is going to make the difference, I am going to bring them....just in case. I live in Grimsby and am looking for a shop that will sell in bulk.

When I lived in Grimsby I bought my worms in bulk from Grimsby Tackle, no problem.

If Grimsby can't help you Bill's Bait and Tackle on Upper James in Hamilton sells worms in bulk too.

His prices may actually be better as well.

And you're right to bring them, believe me.

I've done (I think) 33 fly ins over the years as well as countless weeks paddling and fishing northwestern Ontario.

Yes, there's many instances where bait is redundant.

Then again there's been plenty of times where they'll double your catch. No need to take a chance on that for the sake of 30 bucks worth of worms.

Bob, join me in May and the two of us will probably match your 8 man catch, without live bait. Ask JP about May 2005. Ask Whopper about May 2007, May 2008 & May 2009. Ask me about May 2004. And on and on and on. Jigs and grubs for walleyes. JSM and Suicks for pike.

I don't count fish. Measure my success by the ton.

LOL May 2009 I tried to keep count and quit after the first two hours of the first day, it was unreal.

Grubs weren't even needed :w00t:

I understand. Fishing was so good that your beer got warm before you could drink it. You'll miss Red Lake after retirement. Get ready for company. The annual May invasion is coming.

Can't get here soon enough for me, I'll be armed and ready for battle. The fish will probably win

Have you researched your area? And when are you going?

I have done 4 Fly-ins out of the Chapleau area...as soon as the ice is off and the season first opens. Worms where pretty much useless in the cold early season water on all four lakes we tried. The eyes wanted minnows. They would outfish worms by a mile.

Just throwing that out there. If it comes down to taking one or the other...make sure you have what's working.

Noone says you cant catch fish without live bait ... but ...nuthin catches smallies like a little piece of worm on a single hook with a single split shot .... nothin ... and THAT is why it is illegal on most Bass tourney's :)

And if a bucktail nails a dozen pickereyes then a bucktail with a little 'viande' nails two dozen ... its just the way it is. :clapping:

Have you researched your area? And when are you going?

I have done 4 Fly-ins out of the Chapleau area...as soon as the ice is off and the season first opens. Worms where pretty much useless in the cold early season water on all four lakes we tried. The eyes wanted minnows. They would outfish worms by a mile.

Just throwing that out there. If it comes down to taking one or the other...make sure you have what's working.

The reason minnows out fished worms on you're early fly in trips is because the fish were NOT bugging......and that's because there were no bugs as of yet....come back in a few weeks and things change....early cold water = minnows or minnow type baits......warmer water = bugs, worms or jigs looking like bugs...

I am not saying worms don't work or are not the proper choice for every fishing situation.....on Lake Erie I wouldn't bother to go walleye fishing without worms aboard...but there's a reason for that.....on SMALL lakes trolling and or drifting worm harnesses is NOT necessary but they will still catch fish. However, you're working a LOT harder for said fish IMHO...

Now none of the above is a HARD RULE but more a general rule....there are exceptions to every rule and Lake Erie is a good example.

Bob

Noone says you cant catch fish without live bait ... but ...nuthin catches smallies like a little piece of worm on a single hook with a single split shot .... nothin ... and THAT is why it is illegal on most Bass tourney's :)

And if a bucktail nails a dozen pickereyes then a bucktail with a little 'viande' nails two dozen ... its just the way it is. :clapping:

Hi camillj,

No disrespect but I have to take some exceptions to your post.

Anytime you care to fish smallies on Lake Erie I will bet lunch you will not out fish me using just a bucktail jig to your single hooked worm. :)

The reason it's illegal to use live bait or any live bait has more to do with NO LIVE BAIT SPONSORS than any other reason....money talks, live bait walks.... :D

And on your "viande" quote.......all I have to say is....you don't fish bucktail jigs. ;)