Lowrance Elite5 Gold opinions ?

Alumacraft

I need to upgrade my electronics this year(bow & dash) and was looking at the Lowrance Elite5 Gold Gps/Sonar. These are the units that come preloaded with the Navionics Gold cards(not the DSI units). Anyone using these units? I would like to hear any comments good or bad. I'm looking to get the best views of the bottom looking for hard/soft transition areas and fish tight too bottom. Also for suspended bait/fish. I welcome all comments pro or con.

Thanks Rob

Edited by Alumacraft

I also picked up the Elite 5 G, after doing quite alot of research on the unit. I do most of my fishing on Balsam Lake and was quite surprised how accurate the chart was even to the extent of showing a mostly submerged rock off Grand Island (damn near mounted it last spring). The other option for me was the DSI unit but $$ came into the equation and I felt with the 5G I got more bang for my buck. Hope this helps.

Cheers

glenn

I need to upgrade my electronics this year(bow & dash) and was looking at the Lowrance Elite5 Gold Gps/Sonar. These are the units that come preloaded with the Navionics Gold cards(not the DSI units). Anyone using these units? I would like to hear any comments good or bad. I'm looking to get the best views of the bottom looking for hard/soft transition areas and fish tight too bottom. Also for suspended bait/fish. I welcome all comments pro or con.

Thanks Rob

My brother-in -law and I both bought those things at the show so I too hope they are good (I have yet to fire mine up). One interesting thing though, the gold card is the latest and greatest which means it is upgradeable, but it only works in the Elite 5. You can't take it out of there and use it anywhere else (like in your H2Oc hand held). I mean it's not a deal breaker or anything, but just a heads-up.

Jim

It's a Lowrance, it'll be good. I picked up this model at the spring show but haven't ran it yet. It does come with a navionics chip, the data is not pre-loaded.

The exact machine I was interested in, but you say it doesn't come with any GPS information loaded. That's probably another $200.00

The exact machine I was interested in, but you say it doesn't come with any GPS information loaded. That's probably another $200.00

I think we might have a misunderstanding here, it comes with a Navionics gold card (or chip, disc, whatever). You just start it up, load the chip, select your map, and Bob's your uncle. I don't think there is any need to spend anymore (unless the gold chip does not have the map you require).

Jim

Fish Farmer the Elite 5 comes in a "Gold" package.. just means it is bundled with a Navionics chip. It came with the Great Lakes chip but the guys at radioworld said they would have swapped it for a different one if I wanted.

The gold bundle is cheaper than if you were to buy the unit and chip separately.

You can buy the Elite 5 without the chip in a non-"Gold" bundle for le$$. I am sure there is a rudimentary map loaded on the unit but don't expect any great detail.

Edited by Raf

Depending on price differences have you considered the HDS 5 model instead....it has much more options down the line depending on your demands.

The HDS series can be networked together and also display outboard instrument read outs plus more.

The Elite 5 cannot be networked or link in any other way...

It is REAL nice to have one unit at the helm and another unit at the bow TM networked together. But this does add up $$$. However, you can add the second unit down the line when more fishing funds are available.

Just something to consider before you take the plunge.

Bob

Thanks Bob I was originally going to get 2 HDS5s but then we got hit with a 10%+ wage reduction at work. So now I'm looking at the Elite5 Gold which comes with the Gold card unlike the HDS5.I would like the linking together but I need 2 new units this year mine are getting really old.

Rob

I have the elite 5 with gps and have used it this winter for ice fishing and has worked great for me. will mark a spilt shot above the minnow. I did not get the gold elite map card though. Did not have all the inland lakes that I fish. I have the great lakes and hotmaps card for the unit. This is probably the best gps/sonar you can buy for the money.