Fly Fishing

BENNY

This is going to sound stupid to alot of you I am sure but the reading I have done on it hasnt answered all my questions. I used to Fly fish here and there as a kid but havent done in it in years, I recently went and bought some line for my rod as I thought I would try it out for Brookies and Smallies this year. The problem is the line isnt like I remember. I used to have this thick floating line that you stuck a barbed pin up the end of it with a loop on the end of it to tie a 4 or 5 ' leader and then the fly but the line now is so thin... Basically my question is how is the rigging for fly line done these days.. Is there a proper way to tie the leader to the fly line or am I possibly missing an essential part I dont know about.

Thanks for any help guys...

Chris

Did you buy a floating, weight forward or double taper line as they all have different characterisics when cast and depending on what temp of water they are supposed to be used in. I use a surgeons knot to attach the line to the leader.

Cheers Jeff

Did you put it on backwards? The running line is thin compared to the head of the line.

Are you talking about the backing? It's a thin braid-like line you have between the fly-line and the spool...It's used to extend the capacity

Maybe you have a level line instead of a weighted forward fly line.

Maybe you have a shooting line designed to be used with matching heads.

When in doubt take it to a local fly tackle shop. They should know.

As far as leader to line methods of attaching

There's

- Standard nail not

- Loop to loop using those braided loop connectors

- Needle knot method where you pierce the line with the needle and draw the leader through the end of the fly line for a smooth connection

- I use a nail knotted loop to loop method. Take 5 inches of thick mono and nail knot it to the fly line. At the other end of the 5 inch piece tie in a small loop. Then tie in a small loop in your leader and join both loops together.

- there's also another simple knot but I can't remember how to do it...You can find it somewhere on the link Muskiestudd provided. I think you can find it in James Castwell's list of articles.

There are plenty more ways to do it but these ones are fairly common.

Hope this helps

I nail knot the backing to the fly line and then use a loop to loop for the fly line to leader and from leader to tippet I use the blood knot...

If you want to avoid doing the loop to loop you can always nail knot the leader to the fly line and pull really tight... I have done that and it works fine...