Loose Steering

Lunker Larry

Hey everyone. I have a 16 ft Lund with a 75 hp and all Yamaha controls. My problem is that the steering is loose. The motor turns on its own at idle and flops over when trimmed up. Seems to be getting looser each year. Been over the motor and all the cables but I cannot find anythying that resembles a tensioner or whatever. Anyone have any ideas? I've had this posted elswhere and no one seems to have a solution.

LL

Is it a steering cable,, not the pulley s ,,, you might and probable should replace the cable ,, can be done easily ,but first check under steering wheel and see if the gears are sitting right and make sure a tooth isnt broken off, also check where the single cable goes into engine and make sure it is tight ,usually they seize up, .

I had the same issue with my boat from brand new.

The fix was to replace the helm in my boat.

It cam from the factory with a Teleflex Safe-T helm which is probably what you have as well. I replaced it with a Teleflex NFB Safe-T helm that has a clutch built into it that locks the steering when not turning the wheel. This makes it much easier for me when I'm setting my downriggers now that I don't have to worry about turning in circles because the boat turns by it's self. Installation is pretty easy if you're at all handy and cost is reasonable at about $170 for the parts.

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/steering/mechanical-steering/nfb-safe-t-ll-2/

Hey everyone. I have a 16 ft Lund with a 75 hp and all Yamaha controls. My problem is that the steering is loose. The motor turns on its own at idle and flops over when trimmed up. Seems to be getting looser each year. Been over the motor and all the cables but I cannot find anythying that resembles a tensioner or whatever. Anyone have any ideas? I've had this posted elswhere and no one seems to have a solution.

LL

there is a bolt that runs through the motor and the mounting bracket that attaches to it,its a big nut and bolt around 3/4 inches or so you cant miss it,but crank it down and i bet this is all it is,it happened to me and i know it also got worse as time went on.good luck

I have to ditto DRIFTER_016 on this. I would correct it at the helm. There should be a screw or bolt on the neck of the motor but it is only a temp measure till it wears into that spot and it does not take long I would go with the reactive steering.

better deal then a rod and reel any day of the week

Peter

Thanks everyone. Very much appreciated.

I'll be looking into all the solutions once I get the boat out of the snow bank.

I like the product Drifter16 posted.Didyou get that through the states or canada? That looks like the way to go. It also got me thinking that maybe there is an adjustment on the 'steering box' that I have but couldn't see when standing on my head trying to check it out. I'll have to find the paperwork for the cable installation. Must be something in there.

Again, thanks guys.

Edited by Lunker Larry

Thanks everyone. Very much appreciated.

I'll be looking into all the solutions once I get the boat out of the snow bank.

I like the product Drifter16 posted.Didyou get that through the states or canada? That looks like the way to go. It also got me thinking that maybe there is an adjustment on the 'steering box' that I have but couldn't see when standing on my head trying to check it out. I'll have to find the paperwork for the cable installation. Must be something in there.

Again, thanks guys.

I ordered through either Cabelas or West Marine. Can't remember as it was a couple of years ago.

Make sure you properly measure your existing steering cable so you get the right size when the new setup comes in.

I didn't and had to wait for a replacement to arrive. :(