Nipissing Walleye???

Mike01

Is anyone catching fish!

I haven't caught a walleye in a month. I've moved the shack around a few times and still can't seem to find them. same story from most of the people I talk to.

Mike if you're gonna be out on South Shore talk to Rod Caster (Chad). He has been doing alright for the evening bite. I am getting a few eye, and hope my new spot is more productive. Where nis your shack now? In C. Bay, guys are doing well just past Wasi Falls and also in front of Terrace Suites.

I moved over right in front of lonely island. There is a substantial depth change right off the rock point from about 10' to 30', I'm in about 24'.

I'm heading out tonight and if I don't get anything, my shack is going up in flames!!! LOL!!!

Don't be saying that your not catching fish on Nipissing! Iam supposed to be going up for a fishing trip up there march 11th and we are hoping to catch a few walley. Me and my fishing buddy haven't had any luck on simcoe this year so we were all excited to catch something other than perch. Hopefully it turns around for you guys and hopefully we get lucky when we are up there and catch something bigger than a perch.

Bring you Perch stuff cause there are no Pickereye's left on Nip... sad actually because I can tell that over the last three years, the numbers have dropped...

Four guys fished two days at Bernie's this past weekend, one keeper Pickereye in places that we have historically netted fish...

Gonna have to start looking at other bodies iof water, if I want to take home a feed... unless of course I want to catch perch! :wallbash:

HH

I always found on Nip in march the Walleye slow down drasticly,there entering the prespawn and don't feed nearly as much.They are also migrating and staging closer to the spawning rivers and shoals. This being said they do still bite, but like said the window of oportunity is shorter maybe a 20min-45min bite at dusk.I use to fish closer to the French at the end of the season, the eye's seem to migrate towards the river systems.It is tough to get on fish and since the bite is ussually short if your not set-up at the magic hour you end with noth'in, it's a feast or famine type secnario this time of year.

I usually know the prespawn is coming when I start getting lots of herring in my traditional walleye spots

Edited by canadadude

Drive all the way to Nip for Perch?? Then they only let you keep a sausage Walleye. Even if you catch a slot fish and release it, the boys down the road net your released fish. Not much left in Nip. :whistling::wallbash:

Yup, that pretty much covers it... sad for those who make the trip up and have seen this fishing paradise, turn into anything but... but even sadder for the folks who live there and have seen there passtime decimated.

HH

Drive all the way to Nip for Perch?? Then they only let you keep a sausage Walleye. Even if you catch a slot fish and release it, the boys down the road net your released fish. Not much left in Nip. :whistling::wallbash:

ummmmmm, funny how mine gets deleted for saying pretty much the same thing,,I personally witnessed a cooler stuffed soo full of clear plastic wrap fillets that it barely closed traded for 180 bucks worth of something....... :ninja:

The same old whining and crying about Nipissing walleye populations, which has gone on for the last 30yrs.The populations fluctuate on Nipissing just like every big lake and the Southern Ontario weekend warriors cry when they can't limit out everyday.Sure the fishing changed, 3000 registered huts and more pressure then ever has an affect, as far as the natives nothing has changed except there regulating there harvest more now then ever before.If you think the native harvest is something new your wrong, it's been going on for years, even when Nipissing populations were high and long before Southern Ontario tourists decided Lake Nipissing is there playground. Anyway locals in the know caught plenty of Nipissing Walleye this winter and if Lake Nipissing isn't your cup of tea anymore go somwhere else and whine & cry about that fishery.

The same old whining and crying about Nipissing walleye populations, which has gone on for the last 30yrs.The populations fluctuate on Nipissing just like every big lake and the Southern Ontario weekend warriors cry when they can't limit out everyday.Sure the fishing changed, 3000 registered huts and more pressure then ever has an affect, as far as the natives nothing has changed except there regulating there harvest more now then ever before.If you think the native harvest is something new your wrong, it's been going on for years, even when Nipissing populations were high and long before Southern Ontario tourists decided Lake Nipissing is there playground. Anyway locals in the know caught plenty of Nipissing Walleye this winter and if Lake Nipissing isn't your cup of tea anymore go somwhere else and whine & cry about that fishery.

Your opinion, but my info has come from locals... and yes, the fishery on Nipissing has crashed before... but locals tell me that nets are showing up in areas that have not been netted before... and running nets across spawning rivers, during the spawn is not a good way to manage the fishery.

HH

Your opinion, but my info has come from locals... and yes, the fishery on Nipissing has crashed before... but locals tell me that nets are showing up in areas that have not been netted before... and running nets across spawning rivers, during the spawn is not a good way to manage the fishery.

HH

Netting is suspended during the spawn,thats one of the biggest issues that is being policed right now. I know quite a few locals who crushed the eye's this winter with more 5lb-9lb fish then ever, these dudes however worked to find the fish and didn't rely on the same old traditional spots. The fishery has changed and if you keep getting poor results you have to adapt or just keep getting the same results.The locals who are getting below average results are mostly the ones who don't change along with the fishery.The Southbay areas have taken a beating in the last 10yrs, day huts and the "ice bungalos" have trippled out there and people wonder why the area sucks. Thats easy constant pressure has taken it's toll, the funny thing is the fish are still there just alittle harder to catch.Walleye rarely slam spoons and jigs anymore but have turned into very light biters, sometimes you need your finger on the line to feel the fish as they are very warry of taking a bait.

Netting is suspended during the spawn,thats one of the biggest issues that is being policed right now. I know quite a few locals who crushed the eye's this winter with more 5lb-9lb fish then ever, these dudes however worked to find the fish and didn't rely on the same old traditional spots. The fishery has changed and if you keep getting poor results you have to adapt or just keep getting the same results.The locals who are getting below average results are mostly the ones who don't change along with the fishery.The Southbay areas have taken a beating in the last 10yrs, day huts and the "ice bungalos" have trippled out there and people wonder why the area sucks. Thats easy constant pressure has taken it's toll, the funny thing is the fish are still there just alittle harder to catch.Walleye rarely slam spoons and jigs anymore but have turned into very light biters, sometimes you need your finger on the line to feel the fish as they are very warry of taking a bait.

They may be "officially" suspending netting during the spawn, but that hasn't stopped thoughs who stick their finger up at the offical declarations... it's happening and will continue to happen, until there is a full crash, then, things may change. But the old saying says, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

HH