Hot water discharge carp

mike rousseau

I was wondering if anybody knows anything about fishing hot water discharges fir carp...

I'm wondering if all of them should hold carp ... Or am I looking for something specific...

I was thinking about the power plant in port hope specifically... Cause that water is pretty warm...

Or I was thinking my local water filtration plant but the water there isn't really warm... Just not as cold as the rest of the river...

Any help would be swell everybody... And if this sounds like something you'd like to try with me send me a pm...

Mike

Edited by Musky Mike

I was wondering if anybody knows anything about fishing hot water discharges fir carp...

I'm wondering if all of them should hold carp ... Or am I looking for something specific...

I was thinking about the power plant in port hope specifically... Cause that water is pretty warm...

Or I was thinking my local water filtration plant but the water there isn't really warm... Just not as cold as the rest of the river...

Any help would be swell everybody... And if this sounds like something you'd like to try with me send me a pm...

Mike

Warm water discharge is normally good for winter carping, the problem is access. There aren't that many in Ontario and most of the power plants have restricted access. If you know a spot in Port Hope that's accessible and looks even remotely carpy, I'd definitely be interested to try it with you.

Warm water discharge is normally good for winter carping, the problem is access. There aren't that many in Ontario and most of the power plants have restricted access. If you know a spot in Port Hope that's accessible and looks even remotely carpy, I'd definitely be interested to try it with you.

there is great access... you can drop your line right in the damn pipe! And it looks very carpy...

its basicaly a harbor attached to a lake ontario trib with a giant pier seperating the majority of the harbor... i think its mostly about 10 feet deep and nice murky water...

im just not sure about lake ontario carp... do they like tributaries???or harbors??? cause this is a combo of the two...

I used to fish the power station in mississauga and it would hold carp all winter. The schools of carp in march till may where sometimes huge. I've heard a few guys tell me that they have caught be carp at other warm water discharges as well. I would go and check it out, chances are you may end up catching multiple species since many fish are attracted to those areas.

The short answer is yes WWD's as us carp guys call them are carp magnets in the winter. The coal fired generating station that was in operation in Mississauga was a well known hot spot for winter carping.

If you get any, post the pictures of your "snow carp". We love to see them.

Right Hammer,

I remember the 4 sisters(?), before they were brought down. The stacks at Lakeview generating station. I used to Mepps fish big carp there on the wall 20 years ago. What a great time I had with those ones! I suppose the carp aren't there anymore as the warm water has stopped.

I was there last week-end just lookin'. It was frozen over.

This weekend I'm going to try to drift a wooly fly for rainbows again.

Fred

I was watching fishing Canada this past weekend and pete bowman was fishing a water discharge. I it was in the cold month. Not sure if it was in the fall or winter but it was cold and there was smallies, large mouth and yes he did get into a 30lb + carp it spooled him but he held on and landed it.

He said it was bigger than the episode of carp fishing he did at centre island !!

dsn

No, this is for other warm water flows. It works for us and will work there. You may not need as much weight however.

You will definitley catch incidental carp in the flows, no matter what you are using. But you WILL get bit more with the set up mentioned above and corn.

Edited by Harrison

I don't think there's anything different/special in WWD carping, if you need different rigs or tactics it's because of the flow/depth/venue specifics...etc, not just because of being WWD. The hardest part of WWD carping is finding an accessible WWD swim and as you indicated it's already done. Carp will be there, if not more concentrated due to cold water temperature everywhere else close by.

i didnt realy think that i would have to do anything differently than in the spring...

what i am wondering is what are ideal conditions at a WWD?

im assumeing for my comfort it should be above 0 degrees...

but if carp do use this WWD are they there all winter???

or does this just get em feeding a couple weeks earlier than normal swims?

example... if it was gunna be 5 degrees tomorow (i wish)... should they be there...we are talking about a three hour drive here...

but im too anxious to wait for them to start biting here... i normaly dont catch until about a week into april and that is way too far away...

i didnt realy think that i would have to do anything differently than in the spring...

what i am wondering is what are ideal conditions at a WWD?

im assumeing for my comfort it should be above 0 degrees...

but if carp do use this WWD are they there all winter???

or does this just get em feeding a couple weeks earlier than normal swims?

example... if it was gunna be 5 degrees tomorow (i wish)... should they be there...we are talking about a three hour drive here...

but im too anxious to wait for them to start biting here... i normaly dont catch until about a week into april and that is way too far away...

Don't know about Port Hope but you catch em year long at the Whirlpool

There are other WWD-like venues and I fish/catch there all winter long. Unfortunately, they're all quite a way out. The air temperature doesn't affect them much in WWD, it's more for anglers' comfort. We had a match late January with air temp of -14 or so, and fish were playing.

Personally, I'd rather fish when it's just below freezing mark so I don't need to deal with the melting snow / muddy bank. For example, tomorrow ;-)

There are other WWD-like venues and I fish/catch there all winter long. Unfortunately, they're all quite a way out. The air temperature doesn't affect them much in WWD, it's more for anglers' comfort. We had a match late January with air temp of -14 or so, and fish were playing.

Personally, I'd rather fish when it's just below freezing mark so I don't need to deal with the melting snow / muddy bank. For example, tomorrow ;-)

pm sent