BPS Enigma reel

GBW

I think at the sale price (79.99 according to the website) i would give it a try...doesnt seem too bad of a reel based on specs

but like others have said, for a few bucks more theres some nicer options out there

Edited by ranksda58

It caught my eye while I was in the study looking through the new catalog. the reviews on the new Shimano at the $90 price point suck so this is why I asked. I do not need one at all, just as a spare combo if I happen to blow up all others (6 or 7) in the boat... :whistling:

Edited by GBW

i was primarily looking at the shimano caenan, but like you, saw some mediocre (at best) reviews on it

i then started looking at either the enigma or the pro qualifier by BPS, which had some good reviews...i usually dont make any decision until i see the reel in person though at the store

Edited by ranksda58

They'll probably have a good deal on the Johnny Morris Elite Gold series, or the newer black version.... I would pick-up this reel over the enigma in a heartbeat... I have the JM Elite gold and silver baitcasters, and they have been incredible... Smooth, light, tough and can be used for many applications.

To compare, I had a Curado, and I sold it to buy a couple more of these....

I am not a fan of graphite based reels, especially when, for a similar price, you can buy an aluminum framed reel with a proven track record. At the regular price, I would take a PQ over an enigma or Caenan (plus, I do not like the knobs on the Caenan). For a few bucks more, you can get a Citica, Revo S, JM etc. Further, the dual centrifugal braking system seems like a gimmick, adding unnecessary weight to the spool.

Don't bother, there might be a few good reviews now but give it a season or two and something will break in the reel...just go for the proper reels like Revo's, Curado's, Energy's, and so on...

Doesn't the Curado have a plastic frame????

If you fished with a JM Elite baitcaster, you would have a different opinion....

Even if was super rich (which I'm not...yet) I would buy these reel because the look great and fish even better.

Seriously, pick one up next time you go to BPS and buy it. You don't like it, just return it.

Pass! for a few bucks more you can get a Johnny Morris!

They'll probably have a good deal on the Johnny Morris Elite Gold series, or the newer black version.... I would pick-up this reel over the enigma in a heartbeat... I have the JM Elite gold and silver baitcasters, and they have been incredible... Smooth, light, tough and can be used for many applications.

To compare, I had a Curado, and I sold it to buy a couple more of these....

Have to say I agree completely. A while back the Johnny Morris Gold series reels were on sale for $117 and I bought two of them. :)

I think last year they were selling for $270?

Amazing reels for the money, definitely better than the Curado.

Has a couple nice extras as well: it comes in a zippered padded case with an extra handle and a neoprene reel cover.

Highly recommended.

looks like I have to go check out the new Johnny Morris Signature Series Bass Caster if you are all saying it's better then my Curado...

I was seriously leaning towards picking up a Citica before bass season, but, might check out the Johnny Morris as well. See what kind of deal they offer at their spring spectacular sale, Geoff.

I'll have to wait till then Frank to save my change so the Mrs doesn't find out. :whistling:

:lol: I hear you...I'm used to the "how many rods/reels do you really need" line, and she fishes! I remember the sale that Mike's talking about...during the spring spectacular they usually offer the trade in an old reel program as well, might be able to pick it up for around the same price.