Opinion on a Kayak

Hey All,

I'm looking into getting a kayak to do some fishing from and to tour some of the marshes in the area with my camera. I'm looking for something basic and i'm wondering if anyone has any opinion on this model sold at Bass Pro

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-A10-Sit-In-Kayak/product/10213817/-1764058

thanks

Dave

That's as good a starter yak as you'll find for that price range IMHO. If you are over 6'2" or over 225lbs, it might be a little on the small size for your comfort. I paid $279 for my first yak at Crappy tire over 6 yrs ago and my daughter has inherited now.

yakkid.jpg

The best advice is to test paddle as many different kinds before making a big $$ purchase but to get you started that one will do the trick. I like the sit-in cockpit combined with the sit-on style of cratewell at the back. Check out Yakfisher.net and ask any questions on that forum and you'll get answers from experienced yakkers and fishermen from Ontario & Quebec.

Products might be a little pricey, but you can't beat the service at White Squall just north of Parry Sound.

www.whitesquall.com/(you want their location by Killbear Park)

As soon as the ice is off the water, you can test drive any model. They also have used ones for sale from their summer instructional sessions.

Edited by blue pickeral

I bought a sit-on-top kayak last year. An Ocean Kayak big game prowler. I'm 6'2" and 260#. It is quite stable. I've been out on Lake Erie (on a calm day) with this yak and it handles boat wakes super.

I'm going to outfit it with a fishfinder this year & will give yak fishing more effort this year.

Pay a little bit more and you won't be dissapointed. Watch kijiji and other classifieds for deals on 1-2 year old yaks. You can find a great deal on Wilderness Systems Kayaks all the time. You could probably pick up a 1-2 year old tarpon for 5-700 bucks with a few surface scratches. I have heard good and bad things about the Ascends. Main problems were leaky hulls and warping of the bottom of the hull. Assuming this would be due to poor quality polyethylene. HOWEVER, I have also heard it is a great starter yak and can't be beat for the price. Its the same as anything else. If you buy a shimano sahara as your first real, you will love it. However once you upgrade to a stradic/sustain etc. there is no way you are going back to the sahara. My Honest Opinion. Have been yak fishing for just over a year.

That's the same yak I bought Tropypikehunter.

3877bergpike.jpg

It has served me well and will continue to do so for my daughter. I did replace it with the lightest yak I could find. It weighs 30lbs, 36lbs with the seat installed. I had to drive 300km to Muskoka to get it but I don't regret it.

lunchbrk.jpg

The most valuable thing is that we can now spend time on the water together.

Edited by jediangler