fly rod

shadowfly

Hey guys I'm in the market for a new fly rod with the length of 10" or 10'6" max 11' but at the same time don't want to break the bank. looking to spend 200$ max any suggestions?

another question, are 4 section rods just as good as 2 sections in both strength and action?

thanks in advanced

You really are lookin are you. Manufacturers are claiming that with todays tapers are far better than bef. So multiple 3 or 4pc rods are better than what they had long ago, with better materials and multiple taper changes per pc. just be careful of what you would believe. The best is to always feel the rod and make your decision...it's all about what you'll be comfortable and happy with. Happy hunting Ryan.

thanks for the reply guys ,I'll give temple fork a look i know angling specialties has a few but only 9ft apparently 10' or 10'6" fly rods aren't really popular here locally so finding one seems hard at least with my price range .

danjang i haven't heard of ECHO rods have you used yours yet? if yes how do you like it.?

hey Edwin thanks for info on the tapers ,I'll try to get me a 3 or 4 pcs rod but have to stay with my budget can't go spending crazy $$$$$ on gear like last year LOL .

I'm relatively new to fly fishing so maybe some other more experienced board members have used ECHO rods. The only thing I could say is that it looks fantastic and I've read nothing but good reviews. I've landed a couple of steelhead this fall and winter on the Echo ION. As for the casting, I'm a novice but I seem to cast very well (at least that's what I think lol).

http://www.rajeffsports.com/

thanks for the reply guys ,I'll give temple fork a look i know angling specialties has a few but only 9ft apparently 10' or 10'6" fly rods aren't really popular here locally so finding one seems hard at least with my price range .

danjang i haven't heard of ECHO rods have you used yours yet? if yes how do you like it.?

hey Edwin thanks for info on the tapers ,I'll try to get me a 3 or 4 pcs rod but have to stay with my budget can't go spending crazy $$$$$ on gear like last year LOL .

i hear ya ryan, take you time, and you'll have yourself a rod thatb you'll be happy with

What are you going to be fishing for and where? Steelhead on the Grand need something very different to trout on the Upper Credit.

Echo are gettinga good reputation as danjang suggested but I have also heard they're relatively heavy. Off the top of my head, these should all come in under $200 for pretty much any length/line weight (I'm in the process of looking for something new myself but probably in the $300 range and this is what I've turned up):

Winston Passport

St Croix Imperial

Echo Ion

Guideline EXP3

TFO Lefty Kreh Professional (you won't get a BVK for your budget)

Grey GRXi

Orvis Clearwater

All of those except the Echo are available in fly shops locally (you could do a tour in a morning!) - you need to have a go with some with your reel and line on to see how they suit you ideally.

Finally, have a read of this http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StCroixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK.asp - quite a few lower priced rods in there and should give you an idea of how they stack up realtive to each other.

I can't help you with which rod but i have a 5 wt 9ft2 pieces and 7wt 9ft 4 pieces and for transportation and storage it can't be beat. I think with the way they the benefits of 4 pieces outweigh any negatives, I have fished with a couple guides that use some nice equipment and noticed most of their rods were more than 2 pieces.

Hey cuzza thanks for the info , I'm looking for an 8wt I'll be using it single handed, not looking for a double handed rods. The waters I'll be fishing are local Mississauga and Oakville .

I have narrowed it down to this

8wt (3 or 4 or 5 pcs depending on the manufacturer) 10'- 10'6" and the reel I'll be using is a Bauer M3

I heard TFO makes great rods for the money , i found this one under the lefty kresh professional series

TFO 08 10 4 P 8 Wt. 10'-0" 4pcs 5.4oz IM6 Graphite $194.95 I'll have to go check it out.

hey Torco im with you on the 4pcs very handy and less space to transport and wont' have to worry about breaking or scratching the rod since i drive a small car, having the rod being 4 or 5 pcs. it can be stored safely anywhere

thanks for the info guys.

Edited by shadowfly

Hey cuzza thanks for the info , I'm looking for an 8wt I'll be using it single handed, not looking for a double handed rods. The waters I'll be fishing are local Mississauga and Oakville .

I have narrowed it down to this

8wt (3 or 4 or 5 pcs depending on the manufacturer) 10'- 10'6" and the reel I'll be using is a Bauer M3

I heard TFO makes great rods for the money , i found this one under the lefty kresh professional series

TFO 08 10 4 P 8 Wt. 10'-0" 4pcs 5.4oz IM6 Graphite $194.95 I'll have to go check it out.

hey Torco im with you on the 4pcs very handy and less space to transport and wont' have to worry about breaking or scratching the rod since i drive a small car, having the rod being 4 or 5 pcs. it can be stored safely anywhere

thanks for the info guys.

may be a biased opinion but have you looked at the imperial? fits right in your budget. i'll let you handle mine and see how it feels

Hey guys I'm in the market for a new fly rod with the length of 10" or 10'6" max 11' but at the same time don't want to break the bank. looking to spend 200$ max any suggestions?

another question, are 4 section rods just as good as 2 sections in both strength and action?

thanks in advanced

Grey's GRXI is decent. If you're in Mississauga you should swing by With a Fly Tackle Shop and Angelo will take care of you. Keep in mind that you can't compare the pricing structure of bass rods and fly rods. B/c there are so many more people bass fishing (non fly fishing) they are able to mass produce rods which drives the price down. $200 buys you an awesome tourney series bass rod, but I'm not sure how much selection you're gonna get with fly rods. Keep in mind that decent line like Sharkskin is already gonna cost you $100...

Like many of the other suggestions the best is to actually cast the rod. Sounds like you already have line and reel... so I would bring that to the store with you and do a few casts. that's the only way you're going to feel the rod..

BTW I picked up a smuggler (5pc) 8wt Hardy Gem and it complements my 4wt 3pc Hardy Gem. I love casting both of those rods, but for some of my friends those rods are slightly too slow. I also don't even feel a difference with the 5pc vs 3 pc but this rod is has spigot connections.

hey spinnerdoc Ive handled the imperial and the 11ft imperial switch rod as well. imperials come in 9ft and 11ft for 8wt if I'm not mistaken. 10ft single handed is rare what i was told by some fly fishermen , the tournament legend however has a 10ft long i think it's around 400$ i have to check with angling specialties that's what i had in mind in the first place but it's a bit over priced for this years budget.

wymen Ive being to with a fly about year ago he had mostly switch rods and spey rods and most were 9ft gray's , i agree with you good fly rods aren't cheap, Angelo knows his stuff really well even the guys hang out there are hardcore fly fishermen.

have to find the time this week to go to some stores. and check out the selection.

thanks in advanced

A board member turned me on to Amundson after we met a few times for some fall fly fishin this past season. I tried out an 11" switch spey setup and haven't looked back since. I've bought several other amundson combo's since due to the amazing quality and low price. I wouldn't even think of buying an Orvis rod because it's easy to get Orvis quality at a reasonable price.

Amundson is a Canadian company that is very popular out west. Don't worry as much about how many pieces, a quality, properly used rod shouldn't make much of a difference. Don't get sucked into an expensive GLumis or Orvis when there are better, cheaper alternatives. If you want more details I can PM you the details of the Amundson Ontairo rep to chat.

StCroix do an imperial in a 10' 8wt http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/imperial-fly I had a waggle of one last year and there's plenty over power in it and they're a fairly fast action, should do you fine for fishing the area you're looking at (I'm in oakville - drop me a line if you want to go fly fishing sometime :)) - I'm assuming that you want it for steelheading? If so you don't want anything too fast action especailly for throwing split shot rigs around.

Not sure where you are but Wilsons in downtown Toronto stock St Croix as well as Orvis and some other brands, they will also give you good advice (they have some Amundson fly boxes but I'm not sure if they have the rods). As far as I know the only other St Croix dealer is First Cast in Guelph. Definitely take your reel and line with you as already suggested.

I find it hard to believe that Amundson rods are better than Loomis or Orvis but I've never tried one (I wonder if Mr Tranter has tried anything but an Amundson) - you do get what you pay for but the gap narrows as you go up the price range, the difference between a $200 rod and a $300 rod is greater than the difference between a $500 rod and a $600 one. In the $200 area you should get something decent.

Hello Ctranter i just finished checking out Amundson website nice looking rods, and not expensive at all. please do send me the reps info

Cuzza ; year and half ago I was at a Fly shop and the dude checked the St.croix catalog and said they don't make it in 10ft 8wt, yet here you send me a link . did they come out with that 2011? i like st.croix rods. once i tie some flies this week I'll try to go out on weekends mornings I'll drop you a line if i do go

thanks for the replies guys

Tight Tines

Shadowfly

StCroix do an imperial in a 10' 8wt http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/imperial-fly I had a waggle of one last year and there's plenty over power in it and they're a fairly fast action, should do you fine for fishing the area you're looking at (I'm in oakville - drop me a line if you want to go fly fishing sometime :)) - I'm assuming that you want it for steelheading? If so you don't want anything too fast action especailly for throwing split shot rigs around.

Not sure where you are but Wilsons in downtown Toronto stock St Croix as well as Orvis and some other brands, they will also give you good advice (they have some Amundson fly boxes but I'm not sure if they have the rods). As far as I know the only other St Croix dealer is First Cast in Guelph. Definitely take your reel and line with you as already suggested.

I find it hard to believe that Amundson rods are better than Loomis or Orvis but I've never tried one (I wonder if Mr Tranter has tried anything but an Amundson) - you do get what you pay for but the gap narrows as you go up the price range, the difference between a $200 rod and a $300 rod is greater than the difference between a $500 rod and a $600 one. In the $200 area you should get something decent.

I've been out many times with a guy who only fishes Gloomis. Sure he caught fish, but he payed over a grand for it. Complete waste of money when a fantastic alternative is available. Ever try an Amundson? You should.

Don't waste your time at Wilsons, you will get ripped off. Do your research and you can find anything you want to buy for WAY cheaper.

Cuzza ; year and half ago I was at a Fly shop and the dude checked the St.croix catalog and said they don't make it in 10ft 8wt, yet here you send me a link . did they come out with that 2011? i like st.croix rods. once i tie some flies this week I'll try to go out on weekends mornings I'll drop you a line if i do go

I think it was new last year, it was September when I saw one in a shop. Sounds good - You won't find any unfrozen water at the moment though :(

I've been out many times with a guy who only fishes Gloomis. Sure he caught fish, but he payed over a grand for it. Complete waste of money when a fantastic alternative is available. Ever try an Amundson? You should.

Don't waste your time at Wilsons, you will get ripped off. Do your research and you can find anything you want to buy for WAY cheaper.

Read my post properly and you'll see I said I haven't tried one :rolleyes: . I never said there was anything wrong with the Amundson gear however saying things like a $200 Amundson is better than a Loomis is laughable. I don't own any Loomis rods, they're out of my budget range but having tried one I don't think they're waste of money, they're beautifully crafted tools that make fishing more enjoyable, putting a price on that is very subjective.

I'm well aware that you can get everything cheaper on the internet but last time I checked you can't try rods on there and making that kind of investment based on the opinion of others on the internet is risky. As for Wilsons ripping people off (libel anyone?) I never said they were cheap (although their prices aren't that bad and better than some other fly shops), I suggested visting to test out a range of rods as they probably carry the best selection of brands that fall in the OPs budget in the area.

Can you offer up a few retail suggestions? Just started tying flies, and wonder how to proceed on a budget!

I don't know anything about Wilson's, but would expect that any store in downtown TO would have to be expensive, you are paying for the "convenience"....

Cheers

I've fished an Echo Ion for 2 yrs now, from ON to BC, great rod, casts nicely, looks good but doesn't have the quality craftmanship you see in high end rods...only downside is it's a tad heavy but most of the weight is in the handle build, so it's tip light and balances nicely with a reel

I own 3 amundsons, still water and wind warriors...canadian owned and designed but manufactured in china, same as dozens of others...a nice rod but no loomis, that's for sure...good blank but cheap guides and cork...but I like the blanks so much I've had a friend rewrap 2 so far with oversized strippers and single foot guides and better cork, way nicer rod now....gonna attempt the last rebuild on my own

have had a few tfo's...no complaints but nothing special IMO

albright had a massive inventory clearance that went on for quite some time...worth seeing what they have left

what do you want the rod for??? important piece of info for recommending a specific model...

longer rod for float tubing or lake fishing? but assuming steelhead? if it's a steelie rod you may as well start off with a switch rod, because if you're casting for steelies it's only a matter of time before you get into spey casting and swinging...

here's my new fav company...beautiful rods and reasonably priced

http://pierowayrods.com/PRBlog/about/

big following out in BC, similar to amundson being cdn ownded and designed but i've been told built in korea, which apparently has better quality control...i don't know, just what i'm told

amundson IMO started strong but is losing their ground, they only have a small cult following on their windwarrior and still water models

I would consider looking at a few rods in your price range and putting your hands on them for a feel test. Ignore the name on them until you find one you like and then look at others with the same name till you find the one you want. If you find the rod that feels great but is more than you have to spend at this time put it back and save a little I can't tell you how many rods I have given away or regretted buying because I settled for that rod either because of time or money. I have many rod and reel combos now and I LOVE all of them so if I am fishing and have 5 rods out with 5 different lures I will fish the lure I want instead of avoiding the rod that is not quite the one I love. I found the world of custom rods by accident when a friend built me my first one. The rod is still one of my favourites and it was built by my friend Spiel who has guided me thru the process of getting the most for my money rod wise for quite a few years now.... Thanks Chris....

Art

Can you offer up a few retail suggestions? Just started tying flies, and wonder how to proceed on a budget!

I don't know anything about Wilson's, but would expect that any store in downtown TO would have to be expensive, you are paying for the "convenience"....

Cheers

I wasn't impressed about the service at Wilson's either. On the 3 occasions that I went in, it seemed like they have no clue what they are talking about. Kinda scary considering the cost of the rods.

thanks for the repplies Guys

Bare foot wader thanks for the reviewing the rods ,i could have bought a switch rod but it's not my style, i have yet to handle a G-loomis, a friend has one customized when Loomis was still in Canada it's also 8wt 10 foot paid for it 10 years ago about $700 or $800 from what he told me Till this day the rod never seen a reel on it. I'll try to convince him this year to sell it to me LOL

once i get the time I'll go around looking for the St.Croix 8wt 10'

aplumma I agree with you 100% on that it's all how it suits you, not who makes it , Ive handled 700$ sage and St.Croix for some reason I preferred the Croix and it was less than half of the price of the sage. I'm selling some of my fishing gear and Knife collection to funnel fly fishing, since owning quality gear that preforms well comes at an expensive price.

thanks for the Info and suggestions guys

Tight lines

Shadowfly