Ice Fishing Winter Getaway

asdve23rveavwa

Headed up to the Port Loring area for a two night winter getaway/ice fishing trip last Sunday. The "mission" was to head up north, fish, and (most importantly), RELAX.

Hit the road so that the five hour drive, with a stop for some food, would have us arriving shortly after noon. Juli, of course, had to stop for a few photos of the ice hanging down the rocks...

IMG_7212.jpg

IMG_7219.jpg

The trip up to the near north in the winter is beautiful, hardly any traffic...just the open road with some tunes playing. Made it up to our home away from home...

IMG_7335.jpg

We fished the first afternoon for about three hours, marked a few, but no takers. The cold front was really make things tough...always seem to be running into cold front conditions on my weekend trips :)

Got back to the cabin in time to watch the third period of the all star game, "chill" and hit the sack in time for the Monday morning alarm. Morning came quickly, had some coffee and a quick danish breakfast, then stepped out into the -30 celsius chill! A quick ride out to the hut and back at it.

IMG_7249.jpg

We had a good time out on the ice, fish were really lethargic, but got a few to chase and hit. The best action actually happened in the mid afternoon, when I missed a couple, hooked one, lost it on the way up...only to watch it turn on the Lowrance and head towards Juli's spoon! Told her to start moving it, and, sure enough the crazy, or maybe just stupid, fish hit hers as well. She ended up landing her first pike through the ice...

IMG_7301.jpg

We snapped a few shots, and, back down the hole it went...with the usual splash in the face for me.

Couple of shots of the fishfinder, and, me plugging away...

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg

Before we knew it the day was over again. It's amazing how fishing is like being in a time warp. Back to the cabin for another night of relaxation, Chris, our host, had loaded up the woodstove for us at midday so things were nice and cozy when we got back.

We headed out for a few hours, the next morning, fish were slightly active for a really short time, but, none would commit.

Shot of Juli in our toasty hut...

DSCN0541.jpg

We hit the road around noon, knowing that the forecasted storm was approaching. A stop for lunch and a shot or two of some inukshuks...

IMG_7350.jpg

Had a good trip home, even made it through the the 401 section west of the 400 without hitting a traffic jam at 4:30.

The fishing was tough, but, the time away was priceless. It truly is beautiful up that way in the winter, peaceful, serene, surreal in the early morning.

Our hosts Chris and Christine Brooks were great. Friendly, courteous, helpful. Even swapped a few fish/hunting stories in our extremely large huts with Chris. Can't wait to get back up that way again.

Thanks, for reading.

Looks like a great trip Frank. Its beauty up that part of the province. Nice to get away. I understand thats what the pike said to you too?

Fishin' Queen still rules in your house, eh?

LOL, now she's "stealing" my fish :lol:!!!!!!!! It truly was a great trip, so relaxing, I almost fell asleep in the ice hut at one point. The emphasis definitely wasn't on catching alot. Had it been, I would have booked a higher percentage destination. This was just about the two of us getting away and doing what we love. That said, I'm definitely ready to tangle with some fish tomorrow on Simcoe with Juli's dad. One thing I know, we will definitely get some exercise trudging through the slush and snow :)

Great place to spend a couple peaceful nights for sure. I love it up there. Fishing is much better in March, if your going to go again. I used to spend all my march breaks there back in the day. I think we were the first ones to rent a cabin in the winter from them. I see they've expanded since then. They only had one winterized when we used to go.

I'm not sure why the hut is only in 27fow though, that is a very deep lake. Chris knows the spots too, he must be keeping the fish for himself :whistling: I wouldn't have fished in the hut for long once I saw that depth, but what can ya do. I'm sure you's had a nice time regardless!

S.