Algonquin Park - Proulx Lakers and Specs

Trouthunter

Greetings everyone.

This is my first time to ever join a discussion board. So I hope I do this right.

I have been fishing in Opeongo lake (Algongquin Park) for about 25 years. Everytime I go (about twice a year) I always am surprised how excited I get and how much I enjoy the lake, scenery and if lucky (sometimes) fish. Lately, we've been getting a little tired of doing the same thing year after year. This spring (May), as a bit of a switch up, my friend and I are going to portage into Proulx Lake just for something a little different.

From what I've read, I have figured out that there are specs in the lake, but I was hoping that someone could confirm that there is indeed lakers in Proulx lake. I'd hate to do the portage only to find out that there isn't any lakers in it. rolleyes.gif

Many thanks for any replys.

Cheers

Will you still be staying on Opeongo and doing this as a day trip?

Proulx isn't that great a lake. If you have a squareback canoe and small motor (allowed in the spring), launch in Proulx then motor down the Crow river into Little and Big Crow lake. Brook trout fishing is fair in these two lakes and is easily accomplished as a day trip from Opeongo especially with a small motor.

IMO Redrock lake, also one portage off Opeongo is a better brook trout lake. The fish are fairly abundant but on the smaller side.

If this is an interior camping trip and not a day trip off Opeongo there's waaaaay better options for you that aren't all that difficult to access.

Hey, welcome to the board Trout Hunter...

agree with Solo, for lakers there are better options, for specks i have caught some around the mouth of Koko creek,

depends on if you planning day trip or going in for a backcountry trip ... I prefer backcountry trips, the interior lakes like Lavielle and Lamuir are worth the effort for laker fishing

been to Proulx Lake once, camped on the point, and got a bunch of decent sized specs from shore that spring, not sure about lakers in there though. Dickson is by far the best spec lake in that area but it's a loooooooooooooong portage in there, If it's lakers you're after stick to Opeongo, it's packed full of them (as you probably know) and there's a good chance at catching a real beast!

Louisa (one portage off of Rock Lake) is a favorite of mine for lakers also

jjcanoe

One Algonquin trip that must be done for specks is.... Dickson Lake! Loads of work but you'll have no problem with the brookies. Not a day trip though.

And I agree, the mention of Algonquin in the middle of winter definitely brings a rush of anticipation for the spring Brookie fishing in the park and further North.

R

Will you still be staying on Opeongo and doing this as a day trip?

Proulx isn't that great a lake. If you have a squareback canoe and small motor (allowed in the spring), launch in Proulx then motor down the Crow river into Little and Big Crow lake. Brook trout fishing is fair in these two lakes and is easily accomplished as a day trip from Opeongo especially with a small motor.

IMO Redrock lake, also one portage off Opeongo is a better brook trout lake. The fish are fairly abundant but on the smaller side.

If this is an interior camping trip and not a day trip off Opeongo there's waaaaay better options for you that aren't all that difficult to access.

Greetings solopaddler. Thank you for the reply. We will be likely staying 3 to 4 days and will indeed be brining a small boat & motor through the Proulx portage. That's great news about the Crow river. I wasn't sure if a small boat could make it down the river to Little and Big Crow. We will definately be trying that out.

I see that Redrock lake is accessed through the north arm. Do you know if it's cart accessable?

Cheers,

Hey, welcome to the board Trout Hunter...

agree with Solo, for lakers there are better options, for specks i have caught some around the mouth of Koko creek,

depends on if you planning day trip or going in for a backcountry trip ... I prefer backcountry trips, the interior lakes like Lavielle and Lamuir are worth the effort for laker fishing

Thank you jds.

I'd love to get to Lavielle, but my fishing buddy is not the most agile in a canoe. I'm afraid that if we tried it, I would be the one being hunted by the Lakers (at the bottom of the lake) biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Greetings solopaddler. Thank you for the reply. We will be likely staying 3 to 4 days and will indeed be brining a small boat & motor through the Proulx portage. That's great news about the Crow river. I wasn't sure if a small boat could make it down the river to Little and Big Crow. We will definately be trying that out.

I see that Redrock lake is accessed through the north arm. Do you know if it's cart accessable?

Cheers,

The Redrock portage is definitely not cart accessable.

In any case there's only a handful of Algonquin lakes where small motors are allowed in the spring.

Redrock's not one of them.

Thank you jds.

I'd love to get to Lavielle, but my fishing buddy is not the most agile in a canoe. I'm afraid that if we tried it, I would be the one being hunted by the Lakers (at the bottom of the lake) biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Yeah I hear ya, i have had a few close calls in the canoe, luckily never gone under in the spring.

Dickson is pretty good, been in their many times over the years.

There are way better interior lakes for brookies though.

My trip has been booked for a while. I'll be tripping through Opeongo to points north on May 4th.

Can't wait! :)

:good:

shhhhh there's no trout in Algonquin! :rofl2:

jjcanoe

Dickson is pretty good, been in their many times over the years.

There are way better interior lakes for brookies though.

My trip has been booked for a while. I'll be tripping through Opeongo to points north on May 4th.

Can't wait! :)

Yep,

there are way better lakes, some a short hike off hwy 60.

Like you, I have paddled that park for many years and I am still amazed at the quality of fish that come out of lakes and the little pressure these back country gems see.

Looks like we're in the park a week after you. Leave some for us LOL.

R

Yep,

there are way better lakes, some a short hike off hwy 60.

Like you, I have paddled that park for many years and I am still amazed at the quality of fish that come out of lakes and the little pressure these back country gems see.

Looks like we're in the park a week after you. Leave some for us LOL.

R

Nope we're going to sting them all. :lol: