Wood Worker Needed

bassjnkie

I'm looking for a couple rod racks that hold 16 rods each. I went to Bass Pro and found this one, CLICK HERE, but I'm not sure it's worth the money, doesn't look well built. I was wondering if it would be better to get a custom done. I'm looking for some advice and maybe a quote on a custom built, well made, sturdy, doesn't have to be to fancy.

Here are a few pictures of what I'm looking for.

Image150.jpg

Image152.jpg

Image154.jpg

It really doesn't look that hard to build, depending on how easy the one in the picture is to take apart you have a pattern for it.

Buy some wood and a cheap Jigsawq @ CTC and go crazy,sand & stain .

First model will probably cost you 60$ ,saw ,wood & stain included.

I'd give it a shot, besides, it would give ya a little more to do during winter.

Randy

:canadian:

It is made from hardwoods and has what looks like mitered joints. The time to glue/screw sand and stain is worth the 90.00. It appears to have decent casters on it as a bonus. To build this from scratch using blueprints you will have 8 hours atleast into it.

Art

Ya got me thinking..I could use one or two myself , have a look at these plans. :thumbsup_anim:

Fish_Pole_Rack_0.jpg+

instructions for making a twelve (12) fishing rod rack. You can change the size accordingly if you want more or less slots for rods. To give it a furniture type finish it should be stained with your choice of color, varnished, and or waxed depending on your choice.

OVERALL SIZE:

36” HIGH x 11 ½ ” DEEP x 21 ½” Wide

Fishing_Rod_Holder_0.jpg

Make the sides (A).

1. Cut the sides (A) to length and overall width using table saw as shown in the cutting list.

2. Using the pattern shown in figure one draw the actual shape on a piece of oak-tag or brown paper based upon the scaled dimensions. For the pattern shown one square equals one inch. Trace the pattern onto piece (A).

3. Cut the outline with a jigsaw and smooth the cut with a drum sander, belt sander, or by hand. Trace the finished profile onto the other side, and make the cutout.

4. Pre drill 1/16“ holes in both side pieces at locations as shown in figure 1.

5. Drill 3/8” counter-bored holes ~ ¼” deep into the same locations as shown on the outside of both side pieces.

Make the top rod support © and bottom rod rest (B).

1. Cut the overall length and width of both the top rod support © and bottom rod rest (B).

2. Measure and mark the 12 bottom rod holes (see figure 2). Drill the holes ¼” deep using a 1 ½” wood bit or hole saw.

3. Measure and mark the location for the six rod support holders onto the front edge of the top pole support. Refer to figure 3. Repeat for the opposite side.

4. Secure the rod support holders in the locations using a screw gun.

Assemble the top and bottom to the sides.

1. Use four cabinet clamps, clamp the sides to the bottom and top. Both bottom and top pieces should be 1” from the top end and bottom end of the side pieces. Use wood glue and mount the assemblies using the 1 ½” wood screws.

2. Mount the four ¾” L metal brackets on the underneath of the bottom rod support to add additional strength to the rod holder using wood screws.

Apply Finishing Touches.

1. Scrape off any excess glue.

2. Sand smooth with a drum sander and apply your desired finish.

3. Install mushroom-style button plugs in all counter-bore holes using a small amount of glue and tap them into place.

*From OutdoorLife.

I might just try it myself. :good:

Randy

:canadian:

the BPS one is not well built. Make your own or ask your local dealer about ordering the same type they use for the displays.

to make the rod holding groves/cups:

-screw the good wood to another piece and use a hole saw.

Silly me: If you want the 1/2 holes (or less just use the good piece of wood to make whole holes and cut it down the middle.

the one in the pics is pretty nice. the panels use 3 different pieces jointed together, and the build appears to use actual woodworking methods as opposed to fasteners. if you just want a rod rack that is one thing, this furniture quality piece would take quite a bit of time. the bass pro one you could probably duplicate for 90 yourself, but the one in the pic would be hundreds of dollars for a furniture/cabinet guy to make.

say 20 feet of lumber @ 3$/ft, planing, jointing, cutting, plate joint and glue up the panels, sanding, assembly + clamping, sanding, staining, sanding, staining, steel wool, clear coat, steel wool, clear coat, steel wool, clear coat, buffing and polishing, wax and polishing, ready to deliver. 90$ is starting to look pretty good! this project would take every tool in the shop and probably days - not hours to make. in fact if it wasn't for myself or a gift i doubt anyone would pay enough to make it worthwhile!

But if you weren't looking for a furniture quality piece it could be built with minimal tools out of plywood, edge banded, then stained and clear coated, or maybe out of a select pine or something similar and just clear coated or oiled. i suppose the difference would be is it going to be in the garage or a centerpiece in the formal dining room.

this is probably the reason i dont display my rods. thanks for showing the pics of the rod rack it looks like an interesting project.

Thanks LM, I'm going to try to make it, I can get the tools needed. Will post the results.

what one are you going to make?

Good luck too. I'm sure it will turn out great.

Now you have me thinking of making one too, damn you... :rolleyes:

GBW, I'm going to make the one in my photo, If it doesn't turn out I'll try the other one.

Wiser I saw that ad but to far of a drive, or else I would take them both.

spinnerbaitking Thanks for the pic, that is how I have it set up now, but I don't want them on the walls or ceiling at the new house.

Thanks again all.