Mr Heater Big Buddy

fishinfool

I saw on here that there was a sale at Princess Auto on Mr Buddy Heaters about a week and a half ago so I started calling around

to all the Princess Autos to find me one.

I wasn't having much luck, I tried everything within a couple hundred miles and thought I was out of luck, then I got a hold of someone

in Barrie.

He said that their store had -1 which made us both laugh and start rambling about how that could have happened.

He says "hang on and let me have a look", comes back on and lo and behold he has one in stock.

They were on for $99 for the big one 4000-18000 btus, so I asked him how much to ship.

It ended up costing me $6.00 plus 65c a pound which was only about $16 on top of the $99.

Not bad, now I just have to get out and try it out.

My honey also bought a Clam Nanook Thermal for me for Christmas at Gagnon Sports on Boxing day, they didn't charge tax so I saved a good bit.

I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the bolts they sent with it though, when I started assembling the unit 4 out of 5 of the bolts they sent with it snapped the heads right off. (anyone else here had this happen with the Clam products?)

I went the next day to Brafasco and replaced them all with Stainless Steel bolts and bought Nylock nuts for the whole thing.

Went together like a dream after that and I can't wait to get out there and give it a try...

Now all I need is a gas auger, well maybe next Christmas!

You might be able to get a deal here in the classifieds at ice out. It won't help you for this season but you might be able to save yourself some coin.

Yeah thanks Roy, I always keep my eye on our classifieds there are lots of deals to be had there.

SS

My honey also bought a Clam Nanook Thermal for me for Christmas at Gagnon Sports on Boxing day, they didn't charge tax so I saved a good bit.

I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the bolts they sent with it though, when I started assembling the unit 4 out of 5 of the bolts they sent with it snapped the heads right off. (anyone else here had this happen with the Clam products?)

I went the next day to Brafasco and replaced them all with Stainless Steel bolts and bought Nylock nuts for the whole thing.

Unfortunately too late now, Clamcorp is having a real mess with their Chinese nuts & bolts, many guys on one of ice fishing boards complain and Clam sends out new "real" stainless nuts & bolts. In addition, keep an eye on any of the stitching on the material, some of them are pretty much falling apart "at the seams".

Edited by Fisherman

Unfortunately too late now, Clamcorp is having a real mess with their Chinese nuts & bolts, many guys on one of ice fishing boards complain and Clam sends out new "real" stainless nuts & bolts.

Haha, now ya tell me!!!

I thought about packing it up and taking it back to Gagnon's and telling them to stuff it but for the $25 I paid for all new bolts it was well worth it.

Thanks for the info, I will be watching the unit real close now!

Edited by fishinfool

I have fished out of a Nanook as well as a Yukon and I can tell you you will enjoy your Nanook. Good all around hut. You might want to call clam up and ask them to send you a bag of the plastic retainers for the support poles because the tabs have snapped off on yours as there is a good chance yours will and you will have some on hand when needed. I was told their Customer Service is A-1 American style. Cheers.

I have both the buddy heater (portable hut) as well as the Big Buddy Heater for my 8X10 sleeper hut - you won't be disappointed - only have the heater on high when we first get to the hut - then it goes to low or medium for the rest of the weekend - great heaters - you will be glad you bought it.

Tracker (Don)

I have both the buddy heater (portable hut) as well as the Big Buddy Heater for my 8X10 sleeper hut - you won't be disappointed - only have the heater on high when we first get to the hut - then it goes to low or medium for the rest of the weekend - great heaters - you will be glad you bought it.

Tracker (Don)

Hey Don

Thanks for the response, I have heard a lot of good things about these units.

Stan

Next maintenance item, if you plan on running your Buddy heater on anything other than the 1 lb throw-aways, such as the 5-10lb refill tanks, go to Princess Auto and get the in line propane filter, $11., will save you a major headache later. It stays screwed into the fitting and the extension hose can be unscrewed from it.

Next maintenance item, if you plan on running your Buddy heater on anything other than the 1 lb throw-aways, such as the 5-10lb refill tanks, go to Princess Auto and get the in line propane filter, $11., will save you a major headache later. It stays screwed into the fitting and the extension hose can be unscrewed from it.

Thanks for the heads up, I will be getting one this week.

SS