trolling plate

tomO

Yes they work good. In the long run it would be easier on your big motor and cheaper to use a kicker motor instead of running your main motor all day, especially with the price of gas, a drift sock does the trick too.

If you get one don't forget to put it up before you take off full blast. :D I think they make automatic ones now that automatically flip up after a certain amount of pressure from the prop.

I use one on my 90 Merc in the early spring when I want to go real slow at night and am very happy with it, infact it almost slows the boat too much and I have to increase the throttle sometimes.

I only use it for a couple weeks in May then remove it for the remainder of the year.

I've used the drift socks and buckets to slow the boat, but found them to be a pain after dark, but have found nothing at all wrong with the plate.

This one is the Happy Troller, which seems to be about the most popular, and just about everyone wanted nearly $200, but I picked mine up at BPS for $125 two years ago.

Cnv0930.jpg

I got a good deal on one at the mark down area in cabelas. Its heavy plastic and I picked it up for $20 I just wondered if it was worth putting on. It listed for $100.00 originally. It says it will flip up when you pull the wire and take off.

Yes, I've been using one with my boat and 60HP Johnson. It does a great job...slows me down so much I have to increase the throttle a bit to get the right speed. Tried the sock and didn't like it as it makes steering the boat very hard especially while trolling.

The only down side of the trolling plate for me is I burn more gas that way.

Tried a kicker motor last fall but got a short shaft and I needed a long ...so had to sell it.

I guess is I find a good deal on a long shaft kicker I'll go for it but until then my trolling plate is ready for another season ;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman