Clam Thermal Base Camp

ripsomelips

HI All,

I'm looking for a nice, warm hut that will last me quite sometime.

Looking for something durable and not too heavy since we're going to pull it out with other gear.

Went to Basspro to check out the clam thermal base camp and the fabric is pretty nice and durable but it comes with the price tag of $330 plus tax.

For full specs, check it out at http://www.clamcorp.com/Shelters/PopUpCabin/BaseCampThermal/tabid/391/Default.aspx

Would anyone recommend this hut or are there better ones?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for reading,

J.Fisher

There great if your walking but the only down side is the wind, even when it is well anchored anything above 35-40 km and fishing is no longer enjoyable, the hut wants to fly away and thats a pretty expensive Kite.. I just purchased a 3 Man Frabill Excursion from BP it weighs around 100lb so you have to be in shape to pull it but they say its meant for guys on foot... Good Luck!

I have one and enjoy it. I find fishing for long periods in -10 with wind tough, this shelter helps a lot which means I get out much more and comfortably. Once set up I'm not likely to move every hour. Now I have a Skandic sled and will likely move around more. It takes 10 minutes to setup, drill, anchor and start fishing. The thicker thermal fabric flaps less in the wind than the tine stuff - less condensation too. Strategically setting the shelter to split the wind and using the guide ropes helps stabilize. Be careful not to bend the ice screws. I wasn't too please with the construction. They could be made better. The zippers could be a lot stronger - you must be careful. The material will stretch in time and closing the zippers will be easier. I have a Buddy heater which heats it well. Good for the family - particully ladies (tinkle tinkle).

I have one and enjoy it. I find fishing for long periods in -10 with wind tough, this shelter helps a lot which means I get out much more and comfortably. Once set up I'm not likely to move every hour. Now I have a Skandic sled and will likely move around more. It takes 10 minutes to setup, drill, anchor and start fishing. The thicker thermal fabric flaps less in the wind than the tine stuff - less condensation too. Strategically setting the shelter to split the wind and using the guide ropes helps stabilize. Be careful not to bend the ice screws. I wasn't too please with the construction. They could be made better. The zippers could be a lot stronger - you must be careful. The material will stretch in time and closing the zippers will be easier. I have a Buddy heater which heats it well. Good for the family - particully ladies (tinkle tinkle).

My Clam is tough to beat.. id never switch !

sled_towing.jpg

Edited by cityfisher

HI All,

I'm looking for a nice, warm hut that will last me quite sometime.

Looking for something durable and not too heavy since we're going to pull it out with other gear.

Went to Basspro to check out the clam thermal base camp and the fabric is pretty nice and durable but it comes with the price tag of $330 plus tax.

For full specs, check it out at http://www.clamcorp.com/Shelters/PopUpCabin/BaseCampThermal/tabid/391/Default.aspx

Would anyone recommend this hut or are there better ones?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for reading,

J.Fisher

My buddy just bought one of these and it is very easy and quick to set up. The material is very good and the price including delivery is awesome.

Rob C