Erie Smallies Saturday with a PB

Aaron Shirley

I took a buddy Mitch and his friend Greg out for Lake Erie smallies on Saturday, and it was absolutely beautiful out there. It almost felt like a summer day with the sun shining and very little wind. A rare occurence for Lake Erie at this time of year. I started to search for bigger fish hoping to find a small school of tanks, but it was difficult to cover water without wind. After only getting a few bites jigging Mr.Champs, we began to employ three-way rigs with jointed Shad Raps and covered water like last week.

It was slow but steady picking up a fish here and there, and we even managed a couple of double headers. Still, the tanks eluded us for the most part. Greg's first fish of the day was a personal best for him. It was only a 'good' fish by Lake Erie standards, but he was thrilled with the mid to high 5 pound smallie. He didn't care if he caught another fish all day, that made his trip :) But... he was on fire getting fish after fish in the morning. A great introduction to a new lake for Greg!

A very happy Greg with his PB smallie

Erie_Smallies_11_2010_04-1.jpg

Erie_Smallies_11_2010_05-1.jpg

While Greg was on cloud nine, Mitch and I were wondering where the big fish were, as neither one of us cracked 5 pounds all day. We still had a great day and got about 35 hard-fighting smallies and a walter. We got most fish on jointed Shad Raps, but we also got a bunch jigging Mr. Champs and one on a Trigger X tube.

I saw a buddy Dean out there, and he wasn't washing lures lol. He had a great day with the three-way Shad Rap technique, and he also got a PB. He got about a 5 pound smallie beside us jigging a blue and silver Champ in the afternoon. I zoomed in and took a few shots, and they turned out well from about 150-feet away :) It doesn`t look like a big smallie cause Dean is a giant dude!

Erie_Smallies_11_2010_06.jpg

Erie_Smallies_11_2010_08.jpg

Erie_Smallies_11_2010_07.jpg

The water was clear and approx 53 F., with only a small ripple on the water. it's still a little warm, and the bigger fish should come out to play when the temps dip a little more. We covered a lot of spots in the Eastern Basin with similar results. I can't wait until the action really heats up, and the tanks start to bite more consistently!

Good to have you guys out, and thanks for the deadly veal on a bun Greg! Congrats on your PB`s boys!

Good fishing!

Aaron

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks guys. I can`t believe we had a day like that at this time of year :thumbsup_anim:

The season will come to an end soon, so get out there and enjoy it while you can!

When are you going to air that gerogian bay gar episode?