Camera Settings & Mega Pixels Vs. Optical

dsn

Hi

I haven't posted for many moons. Every since my old Canon 700A Powershot got kicked into the lake by a demon possed strange female that when off on a rampage. That was a great camera. It had 6x optical and 6 mega pixels.

My question is.... when looking for a camera do you look for a camera with maxium optical or pixels?

For me.. the optical thinking this will magnify the image with greater detail rather have the image magnified by the amount of pixels.

With my old Canon I used to have the setting to Maxium size "L" and the Super fine pixel "S" rather "normal" pixel setting." I have always taken my pictures with the " Super fine" setting. I have never tried using the normal setting and not really sure how good it is. I have seen some amazing photos taken by the folks here and you can see the square pixels. I thought thats kinda cool.

Now is that the "normal" setting? With the normal setting can you still enlarge the picture with geat detail?

Also does anyone ever use a higher ISO like 400 and up since the picture becomes grainy? Or is that not a problem anymore with digital? Another which I have never touched 200+ ISO. "Not even with 35mm film !!

I've taken photography back in highschool and college days " 35mm film and the old 35mm Canon A-E1.whistling.gif . So Do have some knowledge.

Just curiuos what other people have thier camera settings on.

I finally found another camera. Yes its a Canon again. It's the Canon PowerShot SX120IS 10X Optical & 10Mega Pixels. Paid $289.00 tax included. (it was the last one on display)

Hope this baby isn't a battery sucker.rofl2.gif Cause I know some take up so much juice.

Heres a photo taken today with my new digital. I had the setting to M2 with a Fine Pixel Setting. Its not as clear as I though it would be. Maybe I should have set the camera to M1. Which might have made the image sharper I guess. Not sure. And maybe I should have tried the " Normal" pixel setting.

IMG_0058.JPG

It was cloudy this morning so it wasn't the greatest setting. I still have to play with it more. I guess I have to experiment with digital more rather staying on the safe side.

Gotta have the camera setting to it's max...never know when I have to pull it out for instant picture moment.

dsn

I think once you are over 6 meg only people heavy into photoshop or if you are making a billboard need more

and optics are everything.. digital zoom is just making the pixels bigger and that works better doing it on the computer not the camera

it doesn't seem to be a 10 meg picture now but you could have down sized it to post here

I don't know the camera but I would think put it on auto and let it decide what settings are best

I would think that M1 M2 are preset settings

swan.jpg

Edited by Terry

I believe the M(medium) and L(large) settings are the file sizes. That's how they are on my Canon SLR's so I'm assuming it's the same for your SX. If you do plan on digitally zooming and cropping, I'd shoot on the largest setting possible. The instruction manual should give you specs on exactly what resolution each of those settings is. And Terry nailed it about the mega pixels....6 is plenty for the avg shooter.

I believe the M(medium) and L(large) settings are the file sizes. That's how they are on my Canon SLR's so I'm assuming it's the same for your SX. If you do plan on digitally zooming and cropping, I'd shoot on the largest setting possible. The instruction manual should give you specs on exactly what resolution each of those settings is. And Terry nailed it about the mega pixels....6 is plenty for the avg shooter.

Thanks Brandon.

Yeah I do eventually crop everything before posting and so on.

I think once you are over 6 meg only people heavy into photoshop or if you are making a billboard need more

and optics are everything.. digital zoom is just making the pixels bigger and that works better doing it on the computer not the camera

it doesn't seem to be a 10 meg picture now but you could have down sized it to post here

I don't know the camera but I would think put it on auto and let it decide what settings are best

I would think that M1 M2 are preset settings

swan.jpg

Oh I hate putting the camera to Auto. See all the pics my bro takes on Auto and its just not worth it. I like the manual features. Give me more better of quality of how the photo comes out.

Oh by the Thanks for making the picture better. WB (white balance)