Spinnerbait Fishing For Bass

MCTFisher9120

Hey everybody, got a few quick questions to ask when it comes to spinnerbait fishing. First off I personally I want a 7'MH baitcast rod but I've been using my 7'2R-Type combo with good success all year. My question is in regards to line choice when fishing spinnerbaits. My favorites are Strike King's Premier Plus spinnerbaits as well as the Booyah HD spinnerbaits.

I used 15lb Trilene Fluorocarbon last season and although I have never had my heart broken on a big spinnerbait fish I feel I can control them fine with this line but I still feel like there is too much stretch when feeling the fish initially hit the bait. Is 17lb Fluoro to heavy for this technique? What lb line and kind of line have you guys experimented with.

Thanks,

MTBF

I like the idea of mono. You get the stretch you need to let the fish inhale the bait before you set the hook. As for lb test I would use the lightest line you can for the conditions you face. Lots of open water then go light. Heavy cover go more. Other than going to a medium power rod with a moderate action tip, and running braid with a fluoro leader, I would stick to the set up you have. If you go braid it will give you the sensitivity your after, but it might cost you loss hook ups with the MH rod that you have. The fish might not get a chance to eat the bait. Another option is to get a more sensitive rod. That will help you feel the strike better, and you can keep the line you have.

Hey Mike I have been using 20lb braid this year for SB's with good succes on the same type set up you said you want curado 101/clarus M/H fast action with out any breakage other than when I flipped way back into a fallen tree and the line broke from rubbing on the tree I was to lazy to grab my heavier set up big mistake cause it was a nice LMB I lost .

My 7" foot MH has got 20 pound Power Pro and a 4 foot 12pound Pline leader when bassin... also a medium rod with 15 pound power pro and 10 pound fluoro. They both work great for me. I don't think sensitivity is a big deal at all when using spinnerbait. its not like you can't feel it when they strike a moving bait.

12lb mono. I like Rapala tough and Trilene xh. Whichever I pick up at the beginning of the year. I've been switching up between these two since I can remember. Knot strength is great, you can fish it in rocks, wood, open water, heavy cover is not a worry to me. The set-up you're running sounds appropriate. Sensitivity and appearance of the line are moot points spinnerbait fishing.

The longest rod I use is 6.10 for max casting distance. Clear and shallow water and flat calm and sunny for smallies. A 6ft for target fishing usally 30-50 Spider Thread Braid.

Most days it's not hard to tell bits other days your blades will just stop turning or just slight slack in line.

Sensitivity can be important when fishing a spinnerbait. Some bass, especially big smallies, will follow a sbait and lightly inhale it. The only indication is that you can't feel the "thump" of the blades anymore. This is especially important when slow-rolling deep weedlines. Some of my best sbait smallies have not felt like strikes at all, but more like a slight increase in weight.

I fish spinnerbaits on 20lb Powerpro, never a leader.

Hey Mike!

Seems like you haven't been posting alot lately...probably because school just started, I'm in the same boat. I always like your topics! Always things I wanna know about. Anyway I like a 7MH Shimano rod, 7:1 reel, 50 lb braid...unless I'm slow rolling a spinnerbait, then its 20lb fluro and a 6:1 reel

-Ben

Thanks for the comments guys, I love braid for my frog and jig fishing aswell as throwing senkos but its going to be hard to change from 15lb fluoro too braid...the spinnerbait looks so nice with no line behind it. I guess braid might be a better option but I would use caution...lot's of the lakes I fish have and I have caught pike on spinnerbaits...maybe that's why the abrasion resistant fluoro is handy for me

O well, thanks for feedback, I would like to get a lighter spinnerbait rod and a curado rather the rapala setup but a flippin stick is first!

Hope to see you guys on the water,

MTBF B)

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher