P-Lines new line joining system

Garry2Rs

This is quite new.

It seems to be a lot like heat shrink tubing, but uses a glue to bond mono or fluorocarbon to each other or to braid WITHOUT A KNOT!

It might not be available in North America yet, but I have heard that it is.

Check this out!

The idea is simple enough.

To attach a hook or lure to your line:

1. Slide a tube onto the end of your line.

2. Add the lure or hook and tuck the tag end back through the tube.

3. Put a couple of drops of glue onto the joint and position the tube over the joint and squeeze the joint gently.

To joint two lines, slip a tube onto line #1, then push line #2 through the tube from the opposite end. Glue and position the tube over the joint.

Assuming that the tube tightens up when it hits the glue, this might solve a lot of problems for guys that want to use long leaders that they can wind passed the tip guide, or guys using heavy lines where the knots can be quite bulky.

Just like the 60's...Better living through Chemistry...grin.

Garry2R's

this would be a great tool for guys who may know their knots but have other problems with tying them, poor eyesight, fingers in table saw, etc. Or in my case a combination of severe tendonitis, and nerve damage that makes fiddling with such small lines difficult. followup if you find it - would be a lifesaver!

Finally took a moment to google it (can't do much else on a holiday). The only North American result was fishermanswarehouse.com in California. 19.99 u.s. per kit. There was a whole wack of Italian sites along with the Australian, be interesting to see when it becomes a stock item here.

Michael

I will order a kit in a couple of weeks, once I am set-up again down south. Fisherman's Warehouse has several locations in California.

There are several sizes of tubing offered. It is unclear, in their advertising, if the glue causes the tubing to shrink tightly to the line or not.

Providing that a tight fit is possible, I see this as potentially a great product for use with heavy leader material. With Fluoro and Mono over twenty pound test the strongest knots get bulkier and bulkier until they're impossible to tie properly.

Garry2rs

I'll also check with my wholesalers to see if they have any plans for it. I was wondering myself about the tube shrinking - seems it would be best if it would.

You'll probably get your hands on it before I can, Garry. Looking forward to hearing about it!

Michael

I have to admit wondering about it myself solopaddler. Something to try for sure. Just wondering about properties of the p-line adhesive vs the super glue's, flexibility of the tube etc. I might just try it one winter's day when I'm bored, unless you beat us all to it!

Michael

I'll bet you could do this yourself with heat shrink tubing and crazy glue.

If the line is being welded then it would be interesting to see how much line strength is lost. The tube is likely there to provide another point of contact for the glue which would increase the overall adhering of the glue.

Well I played with it and seems to be fast enough and makes a strong bond with fluoro-fluoro or fluoro-mono,mono-mono.As far as braid you need to tie a twist knot 1st before you can join it or it will slip so not so fast,may as well tie a uni knot etc..Seems to be a good idea if your bad at tying joining knots.

I've been using "Super Glue" for years on my lead core rod... I simply pull back a couple of inches of the sheath, cut the core, insert my usualy mono line and glue up the overlap.

I usually tack the point where the sheath ends, to hold the mono in position, allow it to dry for a minute or two, then, I saturate the two with glue... it has never failed me yet!

Makes reeling in pretty much seemless through the rod guides and onto the reel.

No tubes required.

HH

How does it look for the final assembly to pass through a rod's guides? Is it smooth enough to not pick up weeds? One of my biggest peeves is the algae blooms here on Lake St. John accumulating on my braid to fluro splices.

Michael

It should be fine for guides,the tubing comes in various dia.,if you use the smallest tube that accepts the line shouldn't be too bad for algae.