Action is heating up......

Stoty

We've had the pleasure of being out on Quinte quite a bit in the past week or so in my new rig, trying to locate active schools of BIG fish that are finally coming in from the lake. The action is still very slow right now, but we managed to boat a couple PIG'S!

Here are some shots of the first two fish caught in the new boat!

First fish in the new boat... a beauty 7lb'er

Walleye_7lbs.jpg

Second fish caught... a MONSTER 13.6 lbs!

Walleye_13lb6oz.jpg

The new boat...

Pro-V-002.jpg

Inside of the rig, just for Dan! lol

inside1.jpg

inside2.jpg

inside3.jpg

inside4.jpg

I am installing a Lowrance HDS-10 on the dash and HDS-7 on the Bow tonight, with an additional HDS-10 or HDS-8 being added to the dash soon!

Edited by Stoty

Nice Eye's. My brother-inlaw and I just completed my first trip to the Bay this past weekend but we got skunked when it came to walleye.

We stayed at a friends trailer near Hay Bay and fished around Hay Bay mostly. Probably trolled almost as far as Glenora but no luck.

Whereabouts on the bay were you guys fishing if you don't mind me asking?

We debated going out to The Gap as its called but both felt a little intimidated traveling that far on our first trip plus we saw lots of boats around Hay Bay, although didn't see anyone catch any walleye.

Whereabouts on the bay were you guys fishing if you don't mind me asking?

We debated going out to The Gap as its called but both felt a little intimidated traveling that far on our first trip plus we saw lots of boats around Hay Bay, although didn't see anyone catch any walleye.

We have been running and gunning all over the (southern part) of the Bay.

The fish seem to be moving quite a bit right now, and locating active fish is the challenge.

We have hit fish as close in as Long reach, and as far out as the gap. They are literally all over the place right now, but hopefully this string of cooler nights will start to bring in the numbers!

The best advice I can give right now, is locate schools of fish between 25-60 ft, and troll over them, with various baits and various depths. Once you establish the depths of the more active fish, concentrate around that depth with a variety of lures until you can dial-in what they are wanting on that particular day.

It's a tough go right now, but won't be..very soon!!!

Stoty, I know that you are not suggesting that folks track their lures a 60ft! But, some folks may not know that and as a "guide" on this board, you must take responsibility for what you write... so folks, if I may, let me clarify what Stoty is saying...

you may mark fish from say 40 to as much as 90 ft, but hooking Pickereyes below 30ft of water is almost certainly a death sentence for the fish...

Let's keep those bait above 30 ft, shall we!? I'd like to catch them next year as well.

HH

Stoty, I know that you are not suggesting that folks track their lures a 60ft! But, some folks may not know that and as a "guide" on this board, you must take responsibility for what you write... so folks, if I may, let me clarify what Stoty is saying...

you may mark fish from say 40 to as much as 90 ft, but hooking Pickereyes below 30ft of water is almost certainly a death sentence for the fish...

Let's keep those bait above 30 ft, shall we!? I'd like to catch them next year as well.

HH

nicely said

I guess I should have been a little more detailed...

What I meant was locate fish in the 25-60 ft range, as the fish are suspended right now in deeper water.

Most of the fish we have got were sitting around the 20-35ft mark, in anywhere from 25-60 fow.

Yah, I do remember Roy! Quite vividly at that. And I will accept that I wrote that and take my lumps, if you will... so, after having eaten a appetizer of crow for my dis-taste of that thread, I will however suggest that I do believe that what I said has merit, regarding holding large Pickereyes in that manner.

There are many folks here who do not have experience and will copy what they see respected anglers do... that was the intent of my post...

Can someone please pass the fish crisp... I prefer my crow to be battered!

HH

Joe you got it right , people who are giveing advise (and maybe a little showing off in the mix) should do it right , eyes caught 60 feet + are going to puke out there bladders , dont fish for them unless you want to eat old oiley tasteing murcury laden mush, and if you do get them up shallower dont hang them from their gill plates . Good to see your new rig ,nice ride Stot and great fish , you guys really have the bay dialed in , would recomend you to anyone wanting to get the bays biggens , just remember people look up to you ,you should show them the right way of things .

Joe you got it right , people who are giveing advise (and maybe a little showing off in the mix) should do it right , eyes caught 60 feet + are going to puke out there bladders , dont fish for them unless you want to eat old oiley tasteing murcury laden mush, and if you do get them up shallower dont hang them from their gill plates . Good to see your new rig ,nice ride Stot and great fish , you guys really have the bay dialed in , would recomend you to anyone wanting to get the bays biggens , just remember people look up to you ,you should show them the right way of things .

Appreciate the feedback and thanks for the recommendation!

I realize that I should have been a little more detailed about the deeper water fish, I'm glad HH jumped in and pointed that out.

Cheers!

Appreciate the feedback and thanks for the recommendation!

I realize that I should have been a little more detailed about the deeper water fish, I'm glad HH jumped in and pointed that out.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips. We'll have a little more of an idea next time we head out. We definitely marked fish in the depth range you talked about but my goodness they had lockjaw at least we know know we just have to keep working them when they suspend like that.

Most of our previous walleye experience is limited and usually involved jigging. We knew we had to troll but obviously it takes time and practice.