Pointers on Fall Bass (Buckhorn Lake)

buckhorn250

I've been fishing Upper Buckhorn for years, but until now fall fishing hasn't been an option...but this year is different. Just looking for some general pointers on how to best approach bass fishing in the late fall. I assume by this time they will have moved out of the shallows...but what do I know.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

It is real hard to assume any thing when bass fishing. In the Cleveland Ohio area myself so the weather is a little different? Maybe 3-4 weeks behind yours? A buddy was fishing pick up bass tournaments here as late as December? Ice on the edges of the lake that melted once the sun started shining on it.

His go to bait? a vibee, a blade blade, pitched to pockets in the weeds and allowed to flutter down and lift, if they didn`t grab it on the way down they would bust it on the lift.

There really is no way to tell what or where to try, you need to get out on the water and experiment, locations, lures. I have caught smallies and largemouth here as late as Thanksgiving on tubes, crankbaits, jig and pigs and even plastic worms and lizards.

Late September on the Georgian Bay you might find the smallies and largemouth together in 15-20 feet of water, the next day in much shallower water, 2-5 feet. I could only assume it was because of the location of food for them.

If you use live bait a 3-5 inch chub or shiner will attract attention if fish are there, but I usually only fished lures. A tube, white or green pumpkin, bait fish or craw fish patterns might be a good starting point?

Never really much luck this late in the year on surface lures for bass, but something like a heddon torpedo that you can work slowly might draw a hit.

If the shore line isn`t working? a point with a good deal of depth changes or a weedy or rocky flat with some deep edges might be a good place to try.

find anything that will hold the heat that the day produces. like, bolders store heat much longer then weeds that are dying or are dead. even a log will hold more heat then weeds. find something that they can 'warm up to' and pitch it. but that's just me. they want to keep warm and on the feed bag as long as they can so I would hit places like that in any lake 1st.

Guest Manitoubass

I always search the shallows first

But at least in my experience, a good place to search would have a drop off in the area that goes down from 25-40 ft.

I'd also try to focus on timing, morning and evening are going to perform better than the middle of the day IMO

I always search the shallows first

But at least in my experience, a good place to search would have a drop off in the area that goes down from 25-40 ft.

I'd also try to focus on timing, morning and evening are going to perform better than the middle of the day IMO

Smallies don't often go much deeper than 30'

Guest Manitoubass

Smallies don't often go much deeper than 30'

True, but they are not always on the bottom either.

So a nice 40ft drop from shallow to deep, with a rock bottom is a great place to fish this time of year, if you dont find them shallow that is

True, but they are not always on the bottom either.

So a nice 40ft drop from shallow to deep, with a rock bottom is a great place to fish this time of year, if you dont find them shallow that is

There's just not enough oxygen once you get below the thermocline, I know they only need 3 ppm, but those areas generally don't even have that.

Try looking for areas around sand/stone/rock/green weed transitions close to deeper water. Look for the under water breaks with this as well as a little current movement. Usually time will play a large factor right now. You will find largies shallow again mid day but on the deeper weedlines early. Key things to look for right now are baitfish. Perch will be shallow as well as the bass. Turnover has happened so you will still find that key water temp in places.Just because turnover has happened does not mean the water is all the same degree evrywhere. You will find this very easy with a slight breeze you will see calm spots on the water, this usually means a change in temp or a current area. This will make it easier to find the Bass. Once you find all this you are set to go. I know it sounds hard but look at any good map and look for those underwater breaks and you will see what I'm talking about. I dont usually go on depht. I key in on what that lake has to offer and what average dept that lake has. Every lake is different. Some lakes you will find them in 4fow or some may be in 22 fow on some bodies of water. Another key note is to watch the forage change, fall tends to change bass apatetites very much. Usually Perch patterns and Craw patterns work best(Kawarthas)but fish them slow. Bigger is not always better right now either. The more natural presentation you can give them the better, clear water is awesome and dont be scared of it at all. Hope this helps

Edited by smalliefisher

Guest Manitoubass

There's just not enough oxygen once you get below the thermocline, I know they only need 3 ppm, but those areas generally don't even have that.

Thats odd, maybe its just an issue with different locations?

I catch tons of fall smallies in 25-30ft of water around here(northwestern ontario)

Interesting nonetheless