Getting a musky replica done

moemoe

So I was looking to get some OFC opinion of where to get a musky replica done, I have done a little bit of research and the top 2 places that I can find are advanced taxidermy, which most people now, and fittante reproductions. Advanced does great work but I am not 100% sold on their musky mounts. I have only seen pictures of fittante in musky hunter magazine and they seem recommened from what I can find in the net, Price wise, fittante is 13.50 an inche and advanced is approx 25% more. Let me know what you think

Here is a link to advanced taxidermys gallery

http://advancedtaxidermy.com/gallery/fish-gallery.html

here is fittante

http://www.fittantereplicas.com/index.shtml

So I was looking to get some OFC opinion of where to get a musky replica done, I have done a little bit of research and the top 2 places that I can find are advanced taxidermy, which most people now, and fittante reproductions. Advanced does great work but I am not 100% sold on their musky mounts. I have only seen pictures of fittante in musky hunter magazine and they seem recommened from what I can find in the net, Price wise, fittante is 13.50 an inche and advanced is approx 25% more. Let me know what you think

Here is a link to advanced taxidermys gallery

http://advancedtaxidermy.com/gallery/fish-gallery.html

here is fittante

http://www.fittantereplicas.com/index.shtml

you probably should have had a skin mount, the one that went into the livewell probably perished anyway.you could have saved your money,plus the time spent on this thread. sorry.

Guest gbfisher

you probably should have had a skin mount, the one that went into the livewell probably perished anyway.you could have saved your money,plus the time spent on this thread. sorry.

First post nasty guy...hahahaha :Gonefishing:

The last fish was not a legit fish for GB. Would have had to be 54" to keep.

Photos sent Moe. Just request Sean to paint it for you. :good:

Probably an existing member with a bone to pick - don't see too many one time posters sign up for a thread like this.

Mods - would like to know what his other user ID is.

Anyway, as far as the mount goes, you are doing the right thing by researching on your own. Use the info you get in this thread along with your own and go with your own decision.

Moemoe I hope you have thick skin because you have taken alot of flack for that beauty muskie.

I am o.k. with what you did and we should all believe you 100% when you say she swam off fine.

2 peices of advice I can give you 1) get a sign made that says "Released" and mount it under the replica and 2) make sure you hold the mount horizontally.

Not many suggestions here.

$13.50/in is very inexpensive for a reproduction, however, you will have some added costs to get it here from Fittanter's.

His paint work is amazing. Seems very accurate. I would be happy with a fish from him if it looked like anyone of those pictures.

Advanced has been doing repro's for years and I'm sure they could match the colour and pattern if you have a good picture.

When I was doing taxidermy, I would have definitely charged more than $13.50/in for a reproduction of a muskie. They are one of the hardest to paint from scratch.

Have you checked with Chris Bowyer Taxidermy in Brentwood, ON. He is an amazing taxidermist with awards coming out his you know what. 705-424-6762 Give him a call to see if he does repro's.

I know the guys at Advanced Taxidermy very well. Went to high school with them and known 1 guy since we were little kids.

I've been dealing with them since they started in the business and have been pleased with their work, so that's who I recommend to everyone who asks about taxidermy.

I definitely recommend a replica over skin mount. No need to kill a trophy fish anymore if you want it mounted. Take a quick length, girth and a photo (if you can) and release.

I would also suggest Advance I had them do a eye for my father and its great I will be going to them for a musky when I figure out what i want done. they are around $20 per inch skin or replica. They have done so many of them and know the color patterens for each body of water that to me is a big thing as I would not want a dark replica of a LSC musky as the musky down here are more silver.

Dada Walleye at advance when we were picking it up

IMG_6018.jpg

IMG_6025.jpg

his eye enjoying Christmas last year

IMG_6664.jpg

A musky they had ready for a customer it was done both sides and looked amazing as always pictures dont do there work justice.

IMG_6014.jpg

IMG_6013.jpg