Closer Steelehead Report

ctranter

Another fantastic day on the riverbank. I was ready to go 6AM sharp, or at least I thought it was 6AM. Turns out I accidentally switched AM to PM on my crackberry and the alarm that was set for 6AM didn't go off at all :wallbash: ! Good thing my excited nerves woke me up at 7, and I met up with my bud (better late than never!)

Today we were hoping to find some active steelehead, but we knew it would be a challenge because we were fishing a stretch of river that 1) closes tomorrow, and 2) is a good distance up from the lake. Sure enough the heavy rains over the past few days kick started a few chromies, and I after switching to a black and orange nimph (the steele's and jacks were feeding heavily on nymphs) this guy slammed my line, and sprinted around the pool for a good 10 min.

-First steelehead on my new spey rod (Thx DMASSE)!

-First steelehead of 2010!

firststeelesmall.jpg

Watching crimson leaves drift downstream can sure make you proud to be Canadian :canadian:,

promoshot.jpg

Then the big "LOL" of the day...

About 30 feet upstream of the pool we were fishing was a large rocky beach area. My friend and I were heard a loud SPLASH and THUD, and we jerked around to see what the commotion was about. To our surprise, a HUGE male chinny had beached itself on the shore, and was flopping around in about 1" of water. I'm all for natural selection, but I felt bad sitting back watching this beast die, so we rescued it and released him back to the deep water, but not before a quick pic!)

(this fish was beached, not caught. It swam away right after the pic)

monstersalmonsmall.jpg

All in all a fantastic day with a good friend. It was a relief to pop the cherry on my new rod, and it's a big confidence boost to make educated decisions about fly choice, and be rewarded with a target catch. More chrome reports to come!

Very nice Chris. I’m actually very close to clicking the submit button on an online order for a new switch fly rod blank. I’m hoping to get into the double handed experience. What line system are you using with the spey outfit?

I have S/A fly line on. I'm new to the world of flies so my technical knowledge is limited, but I'm soaking up everything I can like a sponge. As far as I know, this line is unique because it has a very heavy head, more so than the average spey line. It only took 2 outtings to be able to fire this bad boy 50+ feet on a single overhead roll cast. I have only used the floating tip thus far (probably won't change it until next bass season)

Here's a link to the line for more specific info.

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines/spey-lines/classic-spey-taper-multi-tip-with-loops-dark-willow-orange-html.html

It's weird not palming the reel and letting the reel's disk drag do the work, but the extra casting precision from two hands is neat, and the control with 2 hands is unlike any other.