Learning to Clean Fish

thatleetboy

I posted here a while ago about looking for books to help me learn to clean fish. I've been reading some great books from the library, Including this one....

Cleaning and Preparing Gamefish: Step-by-Step Instructions, from Water to Table

by Monte Burch

http://openlibrary.org/works/OL3474855W/Cleaning_and_Preparing_Gamefish

I had to work this weekend, no fishing for me. I'm hoping to take a morning off mid-week, and find a spot to fish from shore somewhere. Anyhow, I thought I should practice what I've been reading, and local Scarberia supermarket Fu Yao had fresh Red Snapper for $2.48/lb so we grabbed several and I went to town with my fillet knife in the backyard... I think I did a pretty good job, starting to have some experience, my comfort level with the knife is getting there... and this is the recipe (from the book above) we tried, quite delicious!

Wine Poached Fillets

1lb fish fillets, mild and white-meated fish

Italian Dressing

Dash Tabasco sauce

1 cup white wine

1/4 cup water

lemon pepper

garlic salt

Cornstarch

Add Tabasco to the Italian dressing to taste and brush on the fish fillets. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Sprinkle the fillets with garlic salt and lemon pepper. Place the fillets in a large skillet, pour the wine and water around the fillets and poach for approx 5-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillets or until fish flakes easily. Carefully remove the fillets to a warm platter. "Reduce" the liquid in the skillet, then stir a little cornstarch into the skillet, and cook until thickened. Spread this sauce over the skillets and serve immediately.

We used a Riesling for the white wine. All I can say is, it was yummy! :clapping:

You are making me hungry. Well done, now do that with your own catch, head over to the islands and you may get some out of the waters there.

I sent you a message asking if there's any advice on where to fish on the Island... I haven't a clue where to start!

Any advice is more than welcome, I'm pretty new at this!

Cheers