Why are all these fish so big? Bassin' with a Steelhead Surprise!

BillsTheBassMan

This past Saturday and Monday saw Timmeh and I take a pair of days to try to get some quality bassing in before the season ends. We fished full days and did a lot of walking/scouting/fishing. For the most part, the weather co-operated! We explored some new water and we liked most of what we found!

Day One - Saturday:

Thursday's rain had the river relatively muddy in certain areas and it most certainly negatively affected the fishing. We spent the better part of our morning fishing brown water, but we didn't come up empty.

Tim with a 18.5" smallie that is most certainly stocking up for winter:

DSCF0186.jpg?t=1285266461

Myself with a 14" smallie that is most certainly being held in the vintage bass pose (the little guy looks like a monster):

DSCF0188.jpg?t=1285266516

Saturday afternoon saw the light morning rain turn more into a steady sideways downpour and back to a mist again. We decided to leave the muddy water behind and head upstream in search of clearer waters. We continued to fish most of our daylight away. Tim was the angler of the afternoon as he found LOTS of fish from a nice looking run.

1 of 2 pike - both fish featured these markings on their spine:

DSCF0192.jpg?t=1285266843

Tim also managed to catch 3-4 very nice bass from the same run, but this was the true prize of the day (and one of the nicest steelhead I've ever seen) The fish never jumped and Tim had to chase it 75 yards down the bank just in order to land it. I followed with the camera for a picture and to lend any landing assistance that may be needed. Tim handled the fish like a pro, had it out for a few seconds for a few quick pictures, and the beautiful fish was returned to head upstream.

DSCF0190.jpg?t=1285267203

DSCF0191.jpg?t=1285267232

Wet and hungry we decided to call it a day around 5:30 instead of fishing another stretch to close the day.

Monday:

Monday morning met us with gorgeous September weather, the sun with rising temperatures. We hoped this weather would get us into lots of big bass. We weren't disappointed.

The day started with us each catching some healthy smallies that were schooling together and were very similar fish:

Mine:

DSCF0205.jpg?t=1285268227

Tim's:

DSCF0203.jpg?t=1285268263

We continued upstream to some promising looking water (after missing in some other promising looking water) and we came into a school of gorgeous bronzebacks.

One of my pigs!

DSCF0206.jpg?t=1285268347

Another gorgeous river bass (and some good photo work by Tim):

CopyofDSCF2215.jpg?t=1285268401

And right before lunch I plucked out this fellow - the biggest of the morning (though the picture takes a little away from it):

DSCF2214.jpg?t=1285268502

Monday afternoon saw our exploratory nature get the best of us. We decided to leave the productive morning waters in favour of checking out some newer water further upstream. We ate, we left, we went upstream and started fishing some AMAZING looking water including one of the best pools that I have ever seen. Sadly, I noticed right away as soon as I stepped in the river

"Damn the water's cold up here."

This would prove to be telling as the afternoon was sloooooooow fishing. We kept grinding, silently upset with ourselves that we left the warmer waters behind us. We had one lone fish on Monday afternoon, but at least it was a beautiful smallmouth (landed by Tim). I trailed him and attempted to get the twin follower, but came up blank! The average bass size was just phenomenal on Saturday and Sunday. We only caught one or two fish under 15", the rest were pigs, some pushing 20"

DSCF0208.jpg?t=1285268733

Despite having just caught a nice bass, Tim still looks a little dismayed. Perhaps it's because we had to scale a cliff covered in hogweed and loose rocks to catch this sole bass! Regardless, it was a great day out and I'll most certainly be missing days like this in the winter.

Here's hoping we have a few more weeks left (though I sincerely doubt we do).

BillsTheBassMan

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

Nice way to spend a couple days bass in current with light tackle are always fun- and that trout looks healthy! Good on you for the C&R! thumbsup_anim.gif Maybe that one can start a growing trend

Yeah, some tackle shop owners on successful steelheading trib rivers are starting to get worried about future year classes because of the amount of fish being harvested. They know it's great for business now, but it could really hurt things a few years down the road. Apparently, the crowds are way up and EVERY fish being caught is being taken home.

Yeah, some tackle shop owners on successful steelheading trib rivers are starting to get worried about future year classes because of the amount of fish being harvested. They know it's great for business now, but it could really hurt things a few years down the road. Apparently, the crowds are way up and EVERY fish being caught is being taken home.

If they need an example - tell them to send their clients to Whiteman's creek. USED to hold trophies and beauties by the score. The Branford Rod & Gun Club made an announcement this spring that they put (and sorry I can't remember if it was the ONE millionth or the TWO millionth) brown hatchling in the river this year. Fish it now and you see people taking 2 or 3 6 - 8 inch trout home - and wondering where all the 2, 3, 4, 6, 10 lbers have gone.

I don't bring mirrors when I fish, or else I could show them.dunno.gif

Nicely done boys!

SOrry we didnt get out this year.....I didnt get much fishing in this year at all. Part of being a new dad I guess.

Anyways Im about to begin my steelhead hunt for the year shortly! I would certainly take that beauty. Nice fish!

Nicely done boys!

SOrry we didnt get out this year.....I didnt get much fishing in this year at all. Part of being a new dad I guess.

Anyways Im about to begin my steelhead hunt for the year shortly! I would certainly take that beauty. Nice fish!

I plan on Steely hunting after local trout closes and bass really slows (and probably before that). We should try and hook up for a Saturday or something. I'm going to pick up a new rod for it in a week or two I think as well.

I plan on Steely hunting after local trout closes and bass really slows (and probably before that). We should try and hook up for a Saturday or something. I'm going to pick up a new rod for it in a week or two I think as well.

Yeah man. Let me know when you want to head out....Im travelling a bit in October so it might have to be Novemeber but that is my fav Steel month anyway!

I don't bring mirrors when I fish, or else I could show them.

Reminds me of a story Musky or Specks told me when Muskie fishing. He caught a Muskie and a boat of Walleye fisherman yell over at him "Kill it! Kill it! They're eating all the walleye."

He yells back.

"They're not eating all the walleye, YOU'RE eating all the walleye."

:clapping: