centrifugal brakes

Guest LivingLegend

Guest LivingLegend

1st baitcaster and the instructions dont mention much about the brakes. 1st is I got extra plastic breaks red and green, does it matter what the colour is? There are already six red brakes applied in the off position. 2nd, Im going to put about 4 brakes on, does it matter which ones or should there be a pattern when in the on positon?

Thanx guys.good.gif

I think with Shimano there are certain brakes that are stronger than the others. I think others should tell you about that because I don't own a Shimano BC.

As far as starting with it, half on and half off is a good start. You're gonna start turning a lot of them off once you get the hang of it. I myself like to turn on the brakes opposite to each other, but I'm not too sure they even make a difference.

I have been told many times to cross pattern the brakes.... kind of like how you would tighten the wheel nuts on a car ! It keeps the spool in balance !

On my curado I have 2 brakes on I believe.

Like it was said before, once you get the hang of it, you will have most turned of! I would start with half on and half off... then slowly move down from there, you might think it wont make a big difference, but a few backlashes will change your mind ! hahah

What reel did you pick up ?

Guest LivingLegend

I have been told many times to cross pattern the brakes.... kind of like how you would tighten the wheel nuts on a car ! It keeps the spool in balance !

On my curado I have 2 brakes on I believe.

Like it was said before, once you get the hang of it, you will have most turned of! I would start with half on and half off... then slowly move down from there, you might think it wont make a big difference, but a few backlashes will change your mind ! hahah

What reel did you pick up ?

Picked up the CuradoE7, looks like i will begin with 3 on 3 off................. Thanx guys

How many brakes you wind up using will depend on the rod and your casting style. These brakes work at the beginning of the cast to keep the spool from out-accelerating the speed at which the bait is taking line out. Faster rods need more brakes as do harder casters.

If you are a first time bait caster turn them all on until you start to cast smoothly.

Tighten-up the spool brake under the crank handle until you almost have to bob the rod tip to make the lure move down. This is too tight, but it will stop birds nests when you forget to stop the spool with your thumb.

Choose a target that is about 45 degrees above the water and make a few casts. Most folks need this high of a target because until they get the timing, for releasing the spool sorted out, they cast into the water about ten feet in front of themselves and get a big birds nest.

Try casting with two hands in the beginning. This will help to smooth out your stroke. After a few casts your bait should be arching out smoothly, and stopping in the air.

Now you can turn off two of the Centrifugal brakes. This will give you more distance and the bait should stop just as it hits the water.

When you feel that you are using your thumb most of the time, loosen the spool brake off a hair. Adjust it until the bait settles to the water under it's own weight, but the spool stops on it's own.

Wait a few days before make more adjustments, then try turning off one more centrifugal brake. If you hear or see loose line on the spool during the cast, turn that brake back on. You will find you need more brakes with bulky baits and under windy conditions. The key is to know why you are making a change. That way you will know what caused a problem if and when it comes.

You must learn to stop the spool with your thumb. As you feel more confident, loosen the spool brake some more. Again this will give you more distance. In time many people are able to loosen this brake completely off and let their thumb do the work. For now, don't rush it. You need to acquire a nice smooth casting stroke and the habit of stopping the spool, every time, before you loosen things up too much.

Don't forget to turn you wrist so that the reel is tilted 45 degrees during the cast. This will allow you extra flex in your wrist.

Try to keep your elbows down at your sides during the cast...stretched out your arms puts strain on elbows and shoulders and doesn't add any distance to the cast.

If you have any problems PM me.

Good luck

Garry2R's

Guest LivingLegend

How many brakes you wind up using will depend on the rod and your casting style. These brakes work at the beginning of the cast to keep the spool from out-accelerating the speed at which the bait is taking line out. Faster rods need more brakes as do harder casters.

If you are a first time bait caster turn them all on until you start to cast smoothly.

Tighten-up the spool brake under the crank handle until you almost have to bob the rod tip to make the lure move down. This is too tight, but it will stop birds nests when you forget to stop the spool with your thumb.

Choose a target that is about 45 degrees above the water and make a few casts. Most folks need this high of a target because until they get the timing, for releasing the spool sorted out, they cast into the water about ten feet in front of themselves and get a big birds nest.

Try casting with two hands in the beginning. This will help to smooth out your stroke. After a few casts your bait should be arching out smoothly, and stopping in the air.

Now you can turn off two of the Centrifugal brakes. This will give you more distance and the bait should stop just as it hits the water.

When you feel that you are using your thumb most of the time, loosen the spool brake off a hair. Adjust it until the bait settles to the water under it's own weight, but the spool stops on it's own.

Wait a few days before make more adjustments, then try turning off one more centrifugal brake. If you hear or see loose line on the spool during the cast, turn that brake back on. You will find you need more brakes with bulky baits and under windy conditions. The key is to know why you are making a change. That way you will know what caused a problem if and when it comes.

You must learn to stop the spool with your thumb. As you feel more confident, loosen the spool brake some more. Again this will give you more distance. In time many people are able to loosen this brake completely off and let their thumb do the work. For now, don't rush it. You need to acquire a nice smooth casting stroke and the habit of stopping the spool, every time, before you loosen things up too much.

Don't forget to turn you wrist so that the reel is tilted 45 degrees during the cast. This will allow you extra flex in your wrist.

Try to keep your elbows down at your sides during the cast...stretched out your arms puts strain on elbows and shoulders and doesn't add any distance to the cast.

If you have any problems PM me.

Good luck

Garry2R's

Man, I feel like an expert after reading that. Thanx for the great tips, I've been watching utube too to see how they cast and get rid of bird nests fast, I watched the bird nest 1st cause i know they will come often since Im a rookie.

Agian thanx and I will pm you if I have any other issues.....good.gif

Nice reel 3 on 3 off and set spool tension so the lure moves slowly to the water without any motion you will be able to cast medium weighted lures EI:spinner baits texas rigged worms etc) without any bad backlashes unless you make a mistake, properly set up you don't even need to "thumb" the spool. but it's not a good idea for a beginner to try enjoy your new reel you will love it.

Guest LivingLegend

I should make a new post and paste Garry's Tips so all newbie's can read it. i actually printed it out so that I will have it next to me when practicing in the backyard.

Thanx to allthumbsup_anim.gif

Guest LivingLegend

Well I was out today for the 1st time practicing in the golf course and Im happy to say not one backlash! I will however give myself one so I can be ready on the water and get rid of it in seconds, got a great tip off of utube for backlash recovery.

I am using a 1ounce weight and I noticed that my casting wrist gets pretty sore quick, maybe I need to get the right position or 1ounce is just to heavy??dunno.gif

So far awesome and accurate! Backlash time, then pitch casting......

LivingLegend, don't be intimidated by a baitcaster, their extremely easy to use and with a bit of practice you'll get the hang of it in no time. Some folks make them seem like a big deal when in reality there's absolutely nothing to them.