Line counting

krawler

B4 line counters I just measured the amount of line released with one pass of the level wind across the front of the reel, counted the passes and did the math. :whistling:

Edit: if you are going to be casting with the same reel I'd still go this method for ocasional precision trolling, couldn't really see myself casting with a line counter.

Edited by dave524

Bought 2 musky reels without line counters, i now see the benefit of having a line counter reel. Any gimmicks on the market i can attach to my reel to count the line going out.

thanks

Funny, just saw one on clearance at Walmart. Not sure how well they work, think it was a Berkeley line counter.

you don't need one.

the way i do it is; measure distance from reel to first guide - it'll be 18" to 24" or so. when letting your lure out, "pull" the line from the reel to the 1st guide by hand. 20 pulls = 40 feet back.

Okuma has one for ONLY $60 - $70 range. We have had no issues with them at all and have reeled in a few mid 40's" so far. The only issue we've had with them happened last night and we had a fish on!!... couple of cranks into the fight and the reel fell out of it's seat... For some reason I don't think I can blame that one on the reel manufacturer... Help from ny buddy we had it back in it's seat and landed the fish, chunky mid to high 30's

We are well through our second season running these reels and I give em' :thumbsup_anim:

When I did a lot of walleye trolling in the Grand River, I put a bobber-stopper on the line at 125 feet. That way I could put the lure out exactly the same distance every time.

I used a chartreuse nail knot type stopper...The kind that come tied to a piece of plastic straw. The loose threads were left on, so that it was even easier to see it going out.

or switch lures or want to run a different depth.

Yes that will change your presentation and depth, but, this was all about distance...Garry's suggestion is an easy way IF you are going to use the same method. The other suggestion will work for all applications, so both are valid. If I were to utilize this strategy I would mark off the point for my most used line amount (a la Garry) for simplicity, but, use the other method for other applications. Or just go out and buy a line counter reel ;):D

Krawler is talking about muskie reels so I don't know why line counters would even enter the equation. You never, or very rarely would ever need to be more that 25' away from the boat. :dunno:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgUteax7KQQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgUteax7KQQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgUteax7KQQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>