Simcoe Smallies!

steverowbotham

Well the winds have laid down after a crazy couple of weeks.

I fished the CSFL Fall Challenge on Couchiching on the weekend. This was one of my most frustrating tournaments in my memory. We lost our trolling motor power for 4 hours on Saturday, and lost a high 4 pound smallmouth twice! The same fish bit twice and I missed it both times. We weighed 14.85 on Day 1 and that had us in 13th place. It was a disappointing position but left us in striking distance. Sunday, I had a new area to fish and the gameplan was fish slow and deliberate. We had a quick limit within 20 minutes but no size. We kept plugging and fishing very slowly to get bit. We lost 4 fish that jumped and broke off 4 more. The only thing I can figure is there were lots of zebra mussels around and we must have been knicking our lines fishing so slowly on bottom. All were quality fish that we lost and we only weighed 12.20 pounds. It was a tough day all around and that bumped us up a position to 12th place. It was a disappointing finish, but my confidence is pretty high. We were on the right fish and with fewer mistakes could have won the tournament. Thats the way it goes, always next year!

Monday I got out onto Simcoe with a couple from the UK, now living in Canada. Fishing was very tough on Monday. Lots around, but they didnt cooperate too well. We put a few fish in the boat despite the tough conditions.

58423_474103528091_502843091_6712408_3013012_n.jpg

Monday's tough bite had me stirring and I had to get back out Tuesday. My fiancee had the day off so we went out for a few hours in the morning and tried a different area.

Fishing was good! We had 5 fish in our first 20 minutes and ended up with about 20 fish by 11:30am. My arms were sore by the end of the day, but dont file that as a complaint!

62036_474103468091_502843091_6712406_4714591_n.jpg

Fishing is heating up and I'm offering $100 off a weekday charter to any member of this forum through September/October. Good Luck out there and stay safe! The water is getting colder now...

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like the fishing is starting to heat up. Sucks about the tournament...Losing that many big fish is depressing. Even worse in a tournament. What line were you using? Time to switch! I figured you'd have braid with floro leaders?

I think Stren, I believe is making that non-abrasive new line?

Sounds like the fishing is starting to heat up. Sucks about the tournament...Losing that many big fish is depressing. Even worse in a tournament. What line were you using? Time to switch! I figured you'd have braid with floro leaders?

I think Stren, I believe is making that non-abrasive new line?

I dropped to a lighter fluoro than usual due to the tough conditions. But looking back at it now, fluoro is fluoro they cant see it anyways. Should have stuck with what works