painting wooden baits

kickingfrog

I picked up some wooden baits at a discount. I'd like to try painting some of them myself, without investing in an airbrush etc.

Questions:

Should I take the original paint off first?

Any particular type of paint?

Should I put a lacquer finish on?

Any other tips for a newb?

Thanks for the help. :Gonefishing:

Edited by kickingfrog

What kind of baits (brand) are they Rob? You can apply water based paints to oil based but not the other way around. The best thing to do is to strip them, re-seal them, then if you're not going to be using an airbrush, buy the colours you need in rattle cans. Some guys get really good at that. Anything goes...you can use netting for scales, you can foil coat them...it's a lot of fun when you get into it. Once they're painted to your satisfaction, finish them off with a clearcoat. Lots of brands out there. I'm presently using a product called "Vitra-Laque". It's a 2 part mix and dries to a glass finish.

Give me a shout if you need a few answers.

Roy is correct I would scuff them up with a gray scotchbright pad then a high pigment cover paint such as Kilz. Paint what ever you want on them using Rattle can or brush then a clear seal. You will soon have a craving to airbrush and my advise is to get a 2 stage brush the first time instead of the cheaper single stage because you will just upgrade in a short time. Enjoy it is a great way to whittle down the winter months.

Art