Lure making.com?

tb4me

after getting a catalogue from the "Casting for a cure" event im interested in making my own jig heads. So I called there today and they dont sell a smelter or the lead. Any advise on where i can get the 2 of them? also What paints does everyone use? Im thinking this will make an amazing winter project!

Edited by tb4me

When i did make jig heads, I used a table top element and a small pot. For lead my buddy would give me bags of wheel weights. Any shop will be willing to give them to you, they have to pay for toxic disposal per pound. Hope this helps.

Burner like this:

634643e.jpg

after getting a calendar from the "Casting for a cure" event im interested in making my own jig heads. So I called there today and they dont sell a smelter or the lead. Any advise on where i can get the 2 of them? also What paints does everyone use? Im thinking this will make an amazing winter project!

Can't answer your question, but, the boys got pretty excited about that as well. Looks like we may have found a new winter hobby for the family. They are really "hyped" about catching fish on lures they put together themselves. I love it!!! Anything that keeps or increases their interest in fishing :Gonefishing:

Powder paints are the only way to go with jig heads. They're very easy to use and the toughness of the finish is hard to beat.

where can the powder paints be had? Is that the paint you heat the jig head in the oven and dip it?

after getting a catalogue from the "Casting for a cure" event im interested in making my own jig heads. So I called there today and they dont sell a smelter or the lead. Any advise on where i can get the 2 of them? also What paints does everyone use? Im thinking this will make an amazing winter project!

I don't make jigs so I can't help you with those details...but I've been using luremaking.com for some time and i can tell you they have good customer service, ship materials on time and are a pleasure to deal with. Most of the time their prices can't be beat. A good Canadian company overall.

where can the powder paints be had? Is that the paint you heat the jig head in the oven and dip it?

Yes, that's the kind. You can also shoot the stuff on. The paints are sold at Luremaking.com. They do sell a smelting unit too but have run out of stock and are waiting for the new model.

I use a plumbers lead ladle and a torch to melt mine.

MAKE SURE YOU MELT THE LEAD IN AN AREA THAT HAS LOTS OF VENTILATION AND WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE TOUCHING YOUR FACE OR ANYTHING ELSE. When you do melt down the lead the slag will float on top use a dedicated spoon to remove it before you pour the lead. The correct temperature for lead is when you can put a piece of paper in it and it browns immediately if it burst into flames it is too hot. The final warning is if the lead gets one drop of moisture (water or sweat etc.) it will react violently and lead will explode out of the pot and at 740F ruin your day and then some. I usually work over a piece of plywood in case the mold leaks or other mishaps it seems to contain the lead and absorbs the heat to return it to a solid quickly.

Art

I use a plumbers lead ladle and a torch to melt mine.

MAKE SURE YOU MELT THE LEAD IN AN AREA THAT HAS LOTS OF VENTILATION AND WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE TOUCHING YOUR FACE OR ANYTHING ELSE. When you do melt down the lead the slag will float on top use a dedicated spoon to remove it before you pour the lead. The correct temperature for lead is when you can put a piece of paper in it and it browns immediately if it burst into flames it is too hot. The final warning is if the lead gets one drop of moisture (water or sweat etc.) it will react violently and lead will explode out of the pot and at 740F ruin your day and then some. I usually work over a piece of plywood in case the mold leaks or other mishaps it seems to contain the lead and absorbs the heat to return it to a solid quickly.

Art

Found this neat vid on youtube.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eho8VQ4nOmc?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eho8VQ4nOmc?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eho8VQ4nOmc?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Edited by tb4me

I just placed another order today also from them they are great and Steves customer service is second to none I get all my powder paint from them and have also bought the air brush for it man that works good just remember to bake you work after painting stuff as it will make it rock hard. The prices are great and like others have said the best in Canada and usually next day shipping and by that i mean 90% of my orders are at my door the next day no messing around from them. They also have great info on how to do stuff on there site its very usefull to get started.

Oh yeah back to the first question tire weights are what most people use and I would suggest that anyone melting lead keep the kids out of the room just in case there is a spill.

And if you want another tip, Don't put your colours directly on the lead. If you coat the lead in white first, your colours will really come out well. Also, please don't do this in the basement, outside or in the garage or shed with doors/windows open.