Driving to Alaska

brandon

Hey Everyone!

As some of you know, I'm heading to Katmai National Park in Alaska next month to photograph Grizzly Bears. My actual trip in Katmai is scheduled from Sept 19-25 however I'm driving so I'll be leaving monday sept 6th. I'm heading to Ottawa first because I've only been there once, but wasn't old enough to appreciate it. From there, I'm heading to Kirkland Lake for a few days before I start heading west... probably the 11th or so. My goal is to take as many photos along the way and that's why I'm posting this. Below is a list of the towns and cities I'll be passing through on my way. If any of you live in those places or have visited them before and have some cool spots for me to check out and photograph, I'd really appreciate the info.

This is the list on the way to Alaska

Ontario

Thunder Bay

Kenora

Manitoba

Winnipeg

Brandon

Saskatchewan

Regina

Moose Jaw

Swift Current

Alberta

Medicine Hat

Calgary

Banff

Jasper

Grand Prairie

British Columbia

Dawson Creek

Fort St. John

Fort Nelson

Yukon

Watson Lake

Whitehorse

Haines Junction

Alaska

Tok

Glennallen

Anchorage

King Salmon

Most of these places are along the Trans Canada highway except when I head through Banff and Jasper so if there's a place I missed, feel free to mention it. I'll also have the trip back where I'll be heading to Vancouver before I head back east. So here are some other places I'll be passing through.

Southbound ->Alaska to Vancouver

British Columbia

Dease Lake

Hazelton

Smithers

Houston

Prince George

Quesnel

Williams Lake

Lillooet

Pemberton

Whistler

Eastbound -> Vancouver to Banff (once in Banff I'll be taking the same highways back to Ontario as I did on the way to Alaska, that's why I've only listed the places from Vancouver to Banff)

British Columbia

Hope

Merritt

Kelowna

Vernon

Sicamous

Revelstoke

Golden

Ok so just to recap, that first list of cities and towns is from Ontario to Anchorage (I left out the places I've already been to in Ontario). The second list is the places I'll be passing through from Anchorage to Vancouver. And the third set of places is from Vancouver to Banff.

Also, if you're interested in following me along the way, add me to facebook (profile) (photo page) or twitter (Twitter)

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Brandon Broderick

Edited by brandon

I'm not sure just where I'll be when you pass through Thunder Bay Brandon, but it would be great to hook up with you if only for a coffee. A couple of places to check out east of Thunder Bay are Ouimet Canyon and Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. In the park I'd recommend the Thunder Bay lookout and the Sea Lion, which is a stunning rock arch in Lake Superior. There's lots of wildlife in the park as well. Kakabeka Falls just west of TB is a must see. It's right beside the highway and will not use up any valuable time. And if time permits, there's a few places that I can take you to not far from my house.

Cool Trip.

I have been across the country quite a few times when I used to work in the northern oilfields.

When your between Fort St. John and Fort Nelson, BC, stop in a small place called Pink Mountain at the restaurant (Mai's??) and try the chili and toast, awesome stuff and some cool pictures and stories.

Toad River, BC is one of the nicest photo spots I know of. Lots of big game, everywhere so make sure your headlights are good and your camera is handy.

Enjoy the trip, I'm envious.

Well if it is possible for you to detour off the Transcan for a few miles, it would be worth it to go to Drumheller, Alberta. The badlands are there and the Hoodoo's are spectacular. You won't regret that detour I can guarantee!

Joey

I'm not sure just where I'll be when you pass through Thunder Bay Brandon, but it would be great to hook up with you if only for a coffee. A couple of places to check out east of Thunder Bay are Ouimet Canyon and Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. In the park I'd recommend the Thunder Bay lookout and the Sea Lion, which is a stunning rock arch in Lake Superior. There's lots of wildlife in the park as well. Kakabeka Falls just west of TB is a must see. It's right beside the highway and will not use up any valuable time. And if time permits, there's a few places that I can take you to not far from my house.

What DanC said, but you may need a new camera after traveling the north shore of Superior. You can possibly wear it out with all the photo op's.

Batchawana Bay, Montreal river harbor, Old Woman Bay(huge hill east of the beach). Coldwell harbor, Auguasobon Falls in Terrace Bay, Rossport. There is a pullover at the top of the hill just a klik past the Dublin River(Creek) that overlooks Nipigon Bay, great view. Then you get to Nipigon, and a klik after the bridge there is a lookout at the top of the hill. On to Thunder Bay, after you cross the McKenzie River, keep a lookout on the right side of the road. There will be a small plaque and groomed area about 8 kms later. It is the official stop of Terry Fox's run across Canada. It is a small area, but worthy of note. Next up is the Terry Fox Lookout(Thunder Bay lookout), a must see.

If you have the time for a side trip, 9 miles before McKenzie River and Crystal Beach Store is the Pass Lake truck stop, turn left and go down the 26 miles on the Sibley Peninsula, that is where the "Sea Lion" is. Lots of deer on this road, so be careful. At the end is the community of Silver Islet, lots of history there. If the timing of your trip is right, and you are tent camping, then Sleeping Giant Provincial Park is on the way down to Silver Islet.

Once in Thunder Bay, one of the best places to hit is Hillcrest Park, easily reached by turning left at Balsam St. off hwy 11/17. Turn right at the 4 way stop at Margaret/Keith St. and stay left on High St. N. You will go through 3 light stops. One at High and River St. One at High and Van Norman St., the last at High and Red River Rd. Less than half a klik you are at the lookout, you will see a sunken garden on your left then Colonel Keane Drive. That's the place.

There is also the lookout on Mt. McKay, but it would be difficult to give you directions here. 17 miles west of Thunder Bay on hwy 17 is Kakabeka Falls. It is actually higher than Niagara, but does not have the water flow(it drains a huge area, but not 4 out of 5 of the great lakes like Niagara).

After through Thunder Bay, you are into bush. Lots of it. If you decide to travel at night, make sure you fill up your gas tank and watch out for moose. Lots of small places to get gas up here during daylight hours(same goes for Superior between Sault Ste. Marie and Nipigon) but not after 8 pm in most places. At night leaving TBay, next gas would be Dryden, then Kenora.

Brandon, if you happen to be in Thunder Bay around supper time, we hope you'll come over and dine on my "cajun" cooking with us lol. Jk, Ah kin cuke. Dan and I would love to meet you and weather permitting, perhaps we can convince Tjsa to come over for a bbq as well. (hoping for a bit of Indian summer here)

I'm also thinking that tjsa should stop working for the university and take over tourism in Thunder Bay lol.

So keep in touch and drive safe!