Rice Lake Tourist Ass. seems to have a change of heart

Ron

Well it pleases me to see that the RLTA have had a change of heart towards the thought of having a year round fishing season on "MY" lake!

It seems as though they are going to have a fishing derby run similar to that of "The Orillia Perch Festival". This is a good thing and hopefully they will be able to promote this event in order to gain back their respect on this web site.

There is still some much needed information to inquire about sponsorship but I am willing to put up a $500.00 tagged fish provided Sunshine Cove, (who now runs and ad on this forum even though she still has a poll wanting to stop ice fishing on her main page), removes her poll and also puts her money where her mouth is. After all, I won't have anything to gain by donating a prize whereas all of the RLTA will have everything to gain.

I hope this festival goes well for them and am in full support of it. I would encourage all anglers who fish Rice Lake and book vacations there to support those that have donated their time and money.

Mike Ferguson and I have spoken many times since the initial confrontations in regards to ice fishing and now with the first season behind us, it has proven to be beneficial in many ways from the tourism aspect to family entertainment.

Suzie Sunshine though, still does not want other resorts to benifit because she "Quite frankly, doesn't want to be open all year round"

Here is the link to the derby= Rice Lake Spring Fishing Festival

I hope all of you participate and would like to see the look on an OFC member's face taking a cool $500.00 out of my pocket!

Cheers, Ron...

Well it pleases me to see that the RLTA have had a change of heart towards the thought of having a year round fishing season on "MY" lake!

It's great they're promoting the event and I hope it's a great success.

However, I fail to see how this festival implies a "change of heart" regarding year round fishing. The festival runs during traditional open seasons for all species mentioned. Now if this was a "winter" festival with the full support of the RLTA, I would be more impressed.

i would support going back to Rice if Suzie Sunshine was no longetr a member of RLTA and her super loud boat was not anywhere near the derby for its duration...

Ron your a better man then me to forgive so easily and even promote for these cowboys (no offense to any real cowboys) ...its STILL going to be many years before a single dollar of mine gets spent in that area...

Hi Everyone:

This event represents a new positive direction for the Rice Lake Tourist Association (RLTA). My wife Andrea (Clear View Organizing) is the organizer the Rice Lake Spring Fishing Festival. Next spring from May 14-June 19, 2011, anglers who have purchased a festival button will have the chance at catching a tagged fish from four different species, (walleye, crappie, sunfish and perch) to win a prize. All prize fish are to be worth at least $500 or more.

This event has really taken off in the last few weeks due to the hard work of the RLTA and Clear View. It has been designated one of four signature tourism events in the area.

It will have three free kids fishing days on May 21, May 28 and June 11, 2011, two of the three days have confirmed chairities that will have any proceeds from the days events donated to their organization.

May 21 will benefit the excellent program Fishability ( http://fishabilitysports.org/ )

May 28 will help the Give a Miracle a Chance ( http://giveamiracleachance.com/ )

June 11 TBA

To make this even more special the RLTA has announced that proceeds from the entire festival will be donated to charity. That's right it is a not for profit event. :clapping:

Charities will be able to apply for funding from the festival.

Numerous accomadation packages are being offered by RLTA members for everything from reduced cottage and boat rentals prices to discounts at the local bait shops. Lots of these packages are for weekend rates to provide a great opportunity for local anglers to come and spend a few days with friends and family and hopefully catch a great prize.

The festival rules and information are currently available in english but translation is underway for French and Chinese with more languages to follow (any volunteers?) to make this event as accesible as possible to anyone who may wish to come to Rice Lake to enjoy the amazing fishing it has to offer.

Check out the event website for more details and updates as we confirm sponsors, prizes and charities.

http://www.ricelakespringfishingfestival.ca/

Great fishing, fantastic prizes, youth angling opportunities, proceeds to chairity and discounted rates at numerous friendly resorts right on the lake. What more could you want?

Well how about targeted education programs to help identify invasive species, like pike and water solder. Fishing regulations education, safe boating messages, prize draws for all particpants just for entering and much more.

If some of these ideas sound familiar, well they should, they came from discussions on this board and others.

This will be a awesome event for friends and families to get out and spend some quality time fishing on one of the most productive waterbodies in North America.

This is moving forward in a big positive way that will benefit many kids and their families, increase tourism for the area and provide education, information and access to many anglers in our regions.

Good Job RLTA. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Michael Brown

A common misconception is that the RLTA did not support year round/ice fishing on Rice Lake. This is NOT true, the RLTA representative on the FMZ 17 Council voted FOR ice fishing, not against it.

Concerns were raised about walleye being caught and safety issues as there are numerous cracks in the ice due to the constant water flow into the lake, but several other participants raised the same concerns..............

The RLTA always supported ice fishing.

Common misconception it may be, but it comes honest enough I believe. That lady who was or was not the official spokesperson for the association was mixing her own personal beliefs in with the associations when she was speaking to the papers and politicians. It is no wonder the message is mixed. The Rice Lake Tourist Association should have nipped that in the bud.

Anyways it is nice to see things turning around up there.

I would think that the chance to watch Ron count out $500.00 of his own cash, would have several hundred OFC anglers out there trying their luck. :stretcher:

Of course the down side, would be all the promotion and advertising Ron Reyns Maintenance would receive through festival promotions. Business will go through the roof and you will be forced to give up those fishing trips all over the province to tend to your work.

I'll put $50.00 towards the OFC tagged fish (if they want one) because I enjoy this website and it's discussions.