Eugenia Lake

Bigworm

Was just out there yesterday. Lots of bass in that lake. I was told by a local there are speckled trout in there also but i've never tried to catch any. I managed a 4lb largemouth as well as a few smaller largemouth and a medium sized smallie. Saw lots of perch as well. Hope that helps.

Looking at property in the area. Was wondering if this lake holds any fish.

Thanks,

Mark

When you buy your property there, put out an invitation for us all to come up and have a bass tourny. We would need to stay at your place of course...lol

Lake Eugenia was many years back one of the best hidden gems out there, stumps, trees projecting 20 feet out

of the water, hardly a fisherman, and more importantly giant bass. 20 lb was needed to win any sort of tournament there in the hay day, no carp, hardly any rock bass, more weeds then a jig could fish in a day really a dream where pretty much you could guarantee a 4lb bass on a trip and a bonus brook trout could usually be summed up

Now, its infested with carp, rock bass are exploding, the weeds are gone, that bass that remain are dinks and the other week I found zebra muscles on some weed, stringers and stringers of anything a hook can land it really is the best example I can muster where internet forums and a choice article took a gem of a piece of water and totally screwed it up

Edited by aniceguy

If I were you I'd take a few scouting trips up there. If it feels right and you catch fish or see potential, buy it before someone else does. I've heard that eugenia is still a good bass lake. Maybe not as good as it was but still worth spending time on. If this is going to be a vacation property its gotta be a place you don't want to leave... pick your location wisely. Good luck.

Lake Eugenia was many years back one of the best hidden gems out there, stumps, trees projecting 20 feet out

of the water, hardly a fisherman, and more importantly giant bass. 20 lb was needed to win any sort of tournament there in the hay day, no carp, hardly any rock bass, more weeds then a jig could fish in a day really a dream where pretty much you could guarantee a 4lb bass on a trip and a bonus brook trout could usually be summed up

Now, its infested with carp, rock bass are exploding, the weeds are gone, that bass that remain are dinks and the other week I found zebra muscles on some weed, stringers and stringers of anything a hook can land it really is the best example I can muster where internet forums and a choice article took a gem of a piece of water and totally screwed it up

It also has to do with the age of the reservoir. When first flooded and for a couple of decades after. It will be a super productive environment but as it ages its productivity decreases.

It also has to do with the age of the reservoir. When first flooded and for a couple of decades after. It will be a super productive environment but as it ages its productivity decreases.

In many causes your completely right on that, I bet a quick google and there are tons of lakes that thats the exact cause, I think Lake E was formed in 1914 or something like that, and Im sure during its drainings over the years habitat was lost and more, I believe it was 88 or 89 when the lake was last drained for repairs to the dam and the cottagers cut the trees down making laydowns not standing timber, but in Lake Eugenia's case again while the age of the reservoir might be a contributing

factor I think the invasives, harvest and pressure account for 90% of the reason its in its current state.

Phosphate load and res age maybe 10%. regardless it is a former shadow of what it really was.

About 5 yrs ago I went to show my kids something foolish I used to do by the dam, ( a precurser so they arent as dumb) and I saw a line up of white buckets with dozens of small ( 2 inch ) fish in it, when I asked whats that for I got " soup "

I remember someone saying around the same time, they were glad carp where there so the bass would go away and the carp fishing would start......sad

I live about an hour away & it would be one of my regular stops not lots of big fish but my buddies enjoy going there, it is definately over fished & lots take them home but it's close to home & we do OK, drive an hour fish for 6 or 10 & drive an hour home, not sure if we could meet there but maybe some one could, send a PM when your going maybe we could meet at the ramp & I could show you some of the water, take both boats if you have one or maybe mine, off work for a bit my syatic nerve is bothering me

Richard