Family Fun In N/W Quebec ~ Plus A Backlake Bonanza With HTHM

solopaddler

The crystal clear lake with the beautiful beach, Crystal Lake....go figure!! (Pretty sure given the proximity to the trout pond and pictures). It is a beautiful spot, spring fed - a real gem.

As for the auroras - it can get hit pretty hard because of the rotating season. First time I, I was a kid (probably 15 years ago). There had to be 200-250 people fishing the lake that given night. There were literally people in float tubes, rubber dinghy's, etc.. Never been back! Good luck on your return!

I get the impression they can be a tough nut to crack. But then so are brook trout in the middle of the summer.

The lake is open 'till Oct 15 so I'll give it another go in Oct when they're spawning (or attempting to spawn). They can't be that much different than spec's.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the kind words, glad you enjoyed the tale.

Cheers

All of my fishing for them Mike has come after the close of brook trout in hopes of finding them easier. Just not the case.

Awesome report and pics Mike :thumbsup_anim:

Sucks about the weather but you still got into some decent fish B)

Congrats to HTHM on his PB's :good::clapping:

Questions: are you the one filleting in the vid?

and don't you think it's a tad dangerous to have your fingers behind the blade while working the knife along the side??

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Edited by Leechman

Awesome report and pics Mike :thumbsup_anim:

Sucks about the weather but you still got into some decent fish B)

Congrats to HTHM on his PB's :good::clapping:

Questions: are you the one filleting in the vid?

and don't you think it's a tad dangerous to have your fingers behind the blade while working the knife along the side??

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Thanks Jacques, and yeah that's me filleting.

It's been working well for me without incident for 35 years. :dunno:

Thanks Jacques, and yeah that's me filleting.

It's been working well for me without incident for 35 years. :dunno:

I bet it wasn't just your first ones eh :whistling: You certainly know how and pretty quick too...

Was just asking seeing that blade in front of your fingers and thinking that your cottage is located on an island and far away from any hospital in case of a slippage :o

Jacques

Outstanding report Mike! Thank you so much for the awesome read and fun pictures! You have paradise up there, and better yet, have great family and friends to share it with. Of course, since there were mention of some fish in the report, they aren't so bad too! hehe.

I bet it wasn't just your first ones eh :whistling: You certainly know how and pretty quick too...

Was just asking seeing that blade in front of your fingers and thinking that your cottage is located on an island and far away from any hospital in case of a slippage :o

Jacques

It's funny you mention that. A few years back my dad was up there alone installing tongue and groove in the sunroom.

Severed 4 fingers on his left hand with the table saw. :w00t:

Spent 15 mins cleaning up and putting away tools, all the time with his fingers dangling by a shred of skin.

Drove 15 mins to the landing, then drove himself 50 mins to the hospital in Kirkland Lake.

Chose to do that rather than the 20 mins to the one in Rouyn....he's uncomfortable with French LOL!

That decision saved his digits though.

Within 15 mins of arriving they had him on a plane to Hamilton where a plastic surgeon was on duty.

His left hand looks kind of Freddy Krugerish now but it works. :)

He was back to work full time 5 days after the operation with a gigantic cast on his hand/arm..

This happened 5 years ago when he was 70.

I come from tough stock. :D

Thanks everyone else for the kind words.

Mike,

Crystal Beach is beautiful. I grew up in Kirkland and spent alot of weekends sitting there. The girls from Rouyn are nice to look at. ;)

Wynn Lake is a tough fish for Auora Trout. As you said it is a small lake and has been fished hard every 3 years for a long time. Opening day there (on rotation) is like the Saturday morning of May long weekend.

I love the picture of the little oasis you and the family walked to. Who built the bridge and dock area what is the story behind it.