fly tying kit?

newboykool

Hi~ so um..i just started fly fishing last week, i've been out for 2 times along credit river. Didn't have much luck other than some small minnows and a baby smb, does any one know what's the best fly to use right now? i just used som random ones i picked up at a local fly shop.

And also, i've been looking for a fly tying kit with the vise and everything, but they are kinda expensive, does anyone know where i could get a set for a good deal?

Thanks =]

It's not local to you but they will ship and have an assortment of kits available at reasonable prices..

http://johnsflymater...lytyingkits.htm

I've tried to order fly tying materials from the States but unfortunately any sources I've tried won't ship to Canada.

As what speil has posted,those are decent prices.

I started out the same,and upgraded on the vice almost a week later.

A great hobby,I wish I had the time,havent tied a fly in over ten years.

As for material,check out the bargain bins in any tackle shop.You never know whats in there!

Wooly buggers. I've recently taken up fly-fishing and fly-tying and I've caught pretty much all my fish on wooly buggers. Olive green is my favorite color. Really easy and cheap to tie. In fact, I get most of my materials from the dollar store.

My first vice was a pair of needle nose vice-grips. :canadian:

My wife bought me a tying kit by Orvis. She found it on Cabelas website but then searched amazon and found it for less. I don't know much about tying but have tied 3 so far and it seems okay, it has the materials for 8 different flies, all the tools, vise and a book that explains everything and step by step instruction for each fly. I would look into the local places first though and see if you could get the same thing from them for around the same price. Even if you have to pay a little more it would be better to buy locally but you can always start with a kit and buy all your future tools and materials locally.

My first vice was a pair of needle nose vice-grips. :canadian:

Awesome, so was mine. I used to duct tape them closed and then tape them to the table and tie away. Actually worked pretty well. And starting with buggers is a good idea. Really easy to tie and can catch just about anything.

But for your question, most fishing shops will have beginners kits from $50 to $100. They will come with a vise, the common tools, and a good start of tying material. But a word of advice; don't go for the absolute cheapest vice you can find. I did that for my first real vice and I locked a hook in it and started tying, took a break and left the hook in the vice for 15min or so and one of the arms of the vice was broken off when I came back. So I ended up spending more $ on a second vice (which was $50 and has been great). I got that one in a kit from basspro for about $80 with all the other stuff included.

I also have recently gotten into the tying craze... I just bought the cheap starter kit from Walmart. It's ok, has everything you need to get started. I've been awol from this site for quite a while, but maybe I'll post some pictures of the flies I've done. Good luck with the new hobby!