built in tank on boat

Guest Johnny Bass

Built in's are much better in my opinion. Easy to fuel up and never have issues with venting. They are usually placed where the weight is required for balance. They hold alot more fuel and you don't have to worry about contaminating your gear with fuel since there out of the way. We are talking about fuel tanks arn't we?

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks for the feed back. Was just wondering if there were any problems with the built in gas tanks. I imagine it would be harder to steal your gas too, when leaving it over night.

They hold alot more fuel but at full it would probably waste more gas? Since boat has more weight.

With them being bigger they give you added range as well. ;)

My boat has an 18 gallon built in tank. But living up here I need more range when going on long trips so I plan on adding a 12 gallon tank in the back of the boat. 30 gallons should get me where I want to go and back. ;)

They hold alot more fuel but at full it would probably waste more gas? Since boat has more weight.

Only if you are under horsepowered I would think. I haven't noticed it with mine but I went from a 20hp to a 115hp so I knew I'd burn a bit more gas. Not as much as I thought though. As for the convinience of taking the tank out to fill it, I just use jerry cans if I have to or just fill up on the way to the lake.

I don't think the extra weight will have much impact. With an 800 lb boat, 250 lb motor, 2 batteries, anchor, electic bow mount, 2 or 3 people, and a bunch more equipment; how much difference is another 40 pounds of gas going to make?

Disadvantage - you are required to carry a fire extinguisher.

Advantage - if your boat catches on fire you can put it out because you have a fire extinguisher on board :thumbsup_anim:

Advantage - increase range, less clutter in the boat

I don't think the extra weight will have much impact. With an 800 lb boat, 250 lb motor, 2 batteries, anchor, electic bow mount, 2 or 3 people, and a bunch more equipment; how much difference is another 40 pounds of gas going to make?

Disadvantage - you are required to carry a fire extinguisher.

Advantage - if your boat catches on fire you can put it out because you have a fire extinguisher on board thumbsup_anim.gif

Advantage - increase range, less clutter in the boat

Yup!

Ive used a lot less fuel and going further in my 140 I/O merc than the 2 st outboards ive had.22 gal tank and a spare tank for the kicker,just in case!But I can tee into my main if need to,and I did!Ask the jay!

Sounds good to me. And I would imagine you'd have to hit the boat pretty hard to spring a gas leak?

No gas leak,motor broke down about12 to 15miles from fishmasters.I keep the orinal honda tank in the boat full of fuel,just in case I want to run my kicker.That day I had to tee into my boat tank.