Converting VOB files?

Dave Bailey

I know, it would be easier to get a newer videocam that uploads directly to a computer, but for now I'm still using my old HiBand8mm. When I record to a DVD on my VCR/DVD unit the resulting file is something called a VOB file, which will play on my computer but that's it, MovieMaker won't recognize it for editing. There are supposedly programs available on the web that will convert them to other formats, but I haven't found one yet that I can figure out (maybe I'm just stupid). But is there anything that works easily?

I know, it would be easier to get a newer videocam that uploads directly to a computer, but for now I'm still using my old HiBand8mm. When I record to a DVD on my VCR/DVD unit the resulting file is something called a VOB file, which will play on my computer but that's it, MovieMaker won't recognize it for editing. There are supposedly programs available on the web that will convert them to other formats, but I haven't found one yet that I can figure out (maybe I'm just stupid). But is there anything that works easily?

I have an older Hi8 camera as well, what I used to get it on a computer is one of these, BTW you go directly from the camera to the computer, no DVD recorder step. Also if you plug your old vcr into it, you can make digital copies of irreplaceable old VHS tapes as well

http://www.usb-ware.com/ads-dvd-xpress.htm

edit: do to google snooping through recent searches on my PC , it threw this ad up on the forum header, looks like a more recent version of the ads type converter, does essentially the same thing in a lot smaller package without the need for a separate power supply.

http://www.roxio.com/enc/products/easy-vhs-to-dvd/standard/overview.html?gclid=CKDdqePPwqMCFUf75wodhWCfcw

Edited by dave524

VOB is just an MGEP just rename the .vob to .mpg and you can edit it with any Mpeg editor.

I have an older Hi8 camera as well, what I used to get it on a computer is one of these, BTW you go directly from the camera to the computer, no DVD recorder step. Also if you plug your old vcr into it, you can make digital copies of irreplaceable old VHS tapes as well

http://www.usb-ware.com/ads-dvd-xpress.htm

edit: do to google snooping through recent searches on my PC , it threw this ad up on the forum header, looks like a more recent version of the ads type converter, does essentially the same thing in a lot smaller package without the need for a separate power supply.

http://www.roxio.com/enc/products/easy-vhs-to-dvd/standard/overview.html?gclid=CKDdqePPwqMCFUf75wodhWCfcw

VOB is just an MGEP just rename the .vob to .mpg and you can edit it with any Mpeg editor.

I heard that, trouble is that even though I get an error message saying that it can't work with vob files, there doesn't seem to be an extension on the file when I call it up. I tried adding one anyway but had no joy. One of those Roxio thingies dave524 suggested is looking pretty good right now, and it cuts out the VCR/DVD middle-man. The Format Factory is a possibility, but every similar free downloadable program I've tried so far has failed.

Just tried Format Factory, and as I expected it doesn't work (as I said before, nothing ever has). I went through the process of uploading a video to it, converted it, named it, then when I tried to find it on my drive it isn't anywhere to be found. I might have to get this done professionally, if it's even possible. Beginning to doubt it.

Still tinkering, just found out that it places a converted video into its own file folder named FFOutput, which Windows obviously can't access for a search. I tried playing the first video by clicking on it, Media Player opened up but it didn't start. I'm trying a second video in case there was something wrong with the first one, but it's a loooong sloooow process, I might have to get a beer or two and settle in for a solo Free Cell tournament until it's done.

Well, it almost worked. It took literally hours to load the new files into Moviemaker, but when I inserted them they played fine for the first few seconds and then started acting funny, stopping for intervals and looking as if the horizontal lines were out of synch. I'm guessing that the video card on this computer is just not up to the task.

To change the file extention on any file (VOB included) gor to http://www.fileinfo.com/help/windows-show-extensions.html and follow the instructions. You then should be able to change the vob extention to mpg by simply editing it.

As for Format Factory, I am very surprised that it didn't work for you. I have have used it for a long time and converted hundreds of files for editing . I used UIlead Movie maker and it will edit .avi files , so I convert my vob files to that first then export them back to mpg files. Better luck next time.

muddler