Float fishing mainline

vinnimon

Sorry guys,I know its early for the float fishing chat!As one has mentioned about his line keeps breaking!

Well its that time of year for me to get prepared,so I dont have any last minute bull to deal with!

Well I spooled up my float reel with a line that everyone has been talking about,seen it in use plenty of times and worked well.

Well tonight I did a little test!Its made by raven(main line)mono,8 lbs test.010 dia.Made in japan.

Mind you I spooled up my reel alreadywallbash.gif .

I tied it off on both ends of the line and tugged on it.Line memory was lost almost instantly,on the first tug.It feels lke floro and I havent seen any imperfections in the line at all.And the stretch that occurs in a 1 ft section is what concerns me.Same as the trilene xl.

Has anyone used this line,if so, any issues?

I dont want to respool on the shoreline,esp a float reel!

Mind you I do replace all my fishing lines on a seasonal basis!No old stuff!

I've used Raven mainline without any issues. Another decent line to spool with is Suffix.

I typically run 12lb mainline as I do use 10lb flouro leader in certain conditions; 8lb mainline is too light in my opinion unless your a "light leader" guy. If you're seriously concerned about strech and you fish big river systems like the Credit, Saugeen, Notty etc. where long drifts are common, I would run a braided main line until it gets too cold. You can avoid cinching by spooling in an "x" pattern.

Hope this helps.

Edited by justin elia

When I lived in Ontario I spooled up with 8# Ande because I liked the way it handled but when I moved West I changed to 12# Raven as the higher test Ande lines were too stiff. If the 8# Raven is anything like there 12# I would think it would be too limp for me.

As I said I run Raven 12# with 8# Ultragreen for leaders or in clear water 8# Flouro for most of my fishing.

10# and 12# were not in stock!So I went with the 8# line.All others havent had any issues at all!Thats why I bought it.And I use seager leader line.3 season now,and I love it!

Keep in mind, its use on a float reel,not a spinning reel(hence the topic title)

I will give it a go,since its on the spool.Extra spool ofwhistling.gif in hand as well.

I'm cheap. So it depends if you sidecast or wallis/pull cast. Sidecast works better with limper lines like Trilene XL , I pull cast and use the stiffer 10 lb XT Trilene, both available almost everywhere and at a bargain price.

Edited by dave524