Bigger Bass

MSBruno

Hi all,

I've done well this summer catching many smaller bass, mostly smallie, dropshotting. Dropshotting seems to be the only way I can consitantly catch numbers of fish, but most smaller than 2 lbs, with a few under 3lbs.

To get on larger fish, do I need to change spots, technique or just keep weeding through all the smaller ones and eventually land larger fish?

Thanks in advance

+1 on deeper water.....secondary points, drop offs, ledges, humps, deeper weed edges....find some deeper water and look for structure....deep water is where an electronic unit is worth it's weight in gold

try a heavy (3/4-1 oz) single blade spinner bait..swap the huge blade for a smaller colorado so you can still feel the thumping on the retrieve and work it deep

lipless crankbaits, deep diving crankbaits, tube jigs and heavy flipping jigs for weed edges....all worked well for me in deep water

When you fish for big fish, you dont fish for numbers!

For largies, a flippin jig is hands down the best big fish bait out there. There are a thousand baits that have caught big fish, but a jig will always catch big fish.

smallies, chuck a jerkbait over deep shoals. In clear water, a smallie has no problem coming up 30 feet for a nice juicy smelt.

I have to agree with Harrison, to me it seems fish of the same year class hang together, there may be some differences in size of the year class but usually nothing extreme.

A section of lake erie I used to fish you could get a smallie here and there, a mix of sizes, but usually under 18 inches. Then all at once you could get into a school where they averaged 19-21 inches. If you got 20 feet off the school the bite stopped dead.

They move, they can be fussy, or they can hit anything that gets close to them. I don`t buy the bigger lure plan, locations, some areas tend to attract bigger fish. Some times larger lures will work, some times small and slow is the way to go.

Some lakes a section of shoreline during the day was largemouth only, fish it at night and you got a mix, and usually the smallies averaged a larger size than the largemouth. Like mentioned, don`t be afraid to fish deeper water.

You might catch a random big fish any where on a lake, depending on the season some spots just seem to attract bigger fish.

Well I would go looking around a bit, a lake map will help if you can get one, the only other way is to use your depth finder. Drop shooting works, but not my choice for a search bait especially for deep smallies.

It isn`t unusual for guys here to fish 25-30 of water or deeper for them, I have caught largemouth in water over 20 feet deep. Depending on how much wind and wave action you get on that lake a 5/16 or 3/8 ounce tube insert in a 3 1/2 or 4 inch tune can be used to search the bottom, or in between, if they are suspended over deeper water they may take it on the fall. Under windy conditions on Lake Erie I would go to 5/8 or 3/4 ounce on a tube insert.

Smallies will hits trolled crankbaits, when fun fishing or looking for some spots to try on tournament day we would troll a deep diving crank and have a marker buoy ready to throw out on the first hit. A gps helps, I didn`t have one.

A blade bait like a vibee, silver buddy, or heddon sonar can be used to search, make a long cast, let it settle to the bottom and give it rips off the bottom, you may lose some to snags, but you can develop a timing to drop and jerk.

Look for deeper areas near the deep weeds, and sharp drops or humps,they might move deeper during daylight hours or in waters with a lot of boat traffic. Find baitfish and you may find smallies, they like crawfish but minnows are probably most of their diet.

Is the lake known for big fish? on some waters a 20 inch bass of either species is rare.

Well I would go looking around a bit, a lake map will help if you can get one, the only other way is to use your depth finder. Drop shooting works, but not my choice for a search bait especially for deep smallies.

It isn`t unusual for guys here to fish 25-30 of water or deeper for them, I have caught largemouth in water over 20 feet deep. Depending on how much wind and wave action you get on that lake a 5/16 or 3/8 ounce tube insert in a 3 1/2 or 4 inch tune can be used to search the bottom, or in between, if they are suspended over deeper water they may take it on the fall. Under windy conditions on Lake Erie I would go to 5/8 or 3/4 ounce on a tube insert.

Smallies will hits trolled crankbaits, when fun fishing or looking for some spots to try on tournament day we would troll a deep diving crank and have a marker buoy ready to throw out on the first hit. A gps helps, I didn`t have one.

A blade bait like a vibee, silver buddy, or heddon sonar can be used to search, make a long cast, let it settle to the bottom and give it rips off the bottom, you may lose some to snags, but you can develop a timing to drop and jerk.

Look for deeper areas near the deep weeds, and sharp drops or humps,they might move deeper during daylight hours or in waters with a lot of boat traffic. Find baitfish and you may find smallies, they like crawfish but minnows are probably most of their diet.

Is the lake known for big fish? on some waters a 20 inch bass of either species is rare.

5lb + largies have been caught there. Never seen a large smallie, but heard that they can be had higher than 5lbs+

About the only thing else I can offer is keep things in perspective? You should be fishing because you enjoy it, catching and being outdoors. I have seen guys spend a ton of money on fishing, 25 - 35k on bass boats, vehicles to pull them, gear and tackle. Then it became work, and they gave it up. Not every one can or will reach the same skill level, but it can still be fun? if you don`t expect too much out of it.

Good at it can just happen, or never happen, every one is wired differently, and there is a bit of a luck or timing factor. Knowing the waters you are fishing well is never a bad thing. It can eliminate wasted time, but don`t get the idea that some thing has to work, some days nothing will, at least for you?

Every trip out is a new adventure, you are exploring the waters, and some times you find happiness, being happy at it is what counts!

About the only thing else I can offer is keep things in perspective? You should be fishing because you enjoy it, catching and being outdoors. I have seen guys spend a ton of money on fishing, 25 - 35k on bass boats, vehicles to pull them, gear and tackle. Then it became work, and they gave it up. Not every one can or will reach the same skill level, but it can still be fun? if you don`t expect too much out of it.

Good at it can just happen, or never happen, every one is wired differently, and there is a bit of a luck or timing factor. Knowing the waters you are fishing well is never a bad thing. It can eliminate wasted time, but don`t get the idea that some thing has to work, some days nothing will, at least for you?

Every trip out is a new adventure, you are exploring the waters, and some times you find happiness, being happy at it is what counts!

The voice of wisdom. Thank you, Paul.

What has been said about big baits is true. In fact, I think fishing for big bass has a lot more in common with musky fishing, than bass fishing.

If your intent is to find big fish, there are five key places to start looking. Points, Ridges, Creek Channels, Humps and Flats. Other locations will hold fish at certain times of the year or under some circumstances, but these five always hold the biggest fish.

Get out your lake map, here's what you are looking for...

1. Points...Look for some irregularity on the point...a rock pile, a big rock or a stump this are the key features. Find the sharpest break on the point. If this coincides with the a key feature, this is the spot on the spot.

2. Ridges...You will be looking for the same key features as with points. This is sonar work, but once you find them, the nice thing is ridges don't get as much pressure as points.

3.Creek Channels...Many of our cottage lakes have been improved by damming the exit end, raising the water level and controlling the water flow over the course of the year. If you search, you can often find the old steam bed or creek channel. This feature works best when combined with one or more of the other four. Like a point or hump that ends at the channel. Fish use these channels as highways to guide their movement, but some are better than others. The closer the channel is to other key things like points, hump or islands, the better.

4. Humps or Islands...a hump is a submerged island. Islands are like two points back to back. Treat them the same and find the key features on each.

5. Flats...These are prime feeding areas. Look for fish along the edges, but also seek out any "staircases" or trenches that would make it easy for a fish to go from deep to shallow water. If the top of the flat is barren, check the edges and corners. You're looking for a path to and from deeper water.

Okay you have decided on some key places to check out...Remember this.

The biggest fish in any lake will have the best locations on these key places and big fish will not move far from their chosen spot.

Big bass will go shallower to feed or spawn and deeper in hot/bright weather but we are talking a few yards, not across the lake.

Find spots that combine the key features we mentioned and you have probably found a big fish spot. The next step will be to fish these spots with large baits, at three levels, top, mid-water and bottom.

One last tip. Try casting from shallow to deep water rather than from deep to shallow. Big fish feed by trapping there prey in shallow water. Good Luck!

Garry2R's