Which style of waders are better in cold weather?

Canuck2fan

I have a budget of 230 dollars and I am in the process of trying to decide which will be the better purchase, breathable or neoprene but only for cold, cold weather. I have heard both are from different sources so I wanted to know what the folks on here think. I have always had problems keeping my feet warm enough while on shore during the colder months now so I would also like to know which style are better for warmth boot or stocking foot. Another important opinion I am interested in from people with experience is what style tends to last longer as I would like at least 3 yrs out of these waders.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I can only give you my personal experience. I have a pair of Bare neoprene waders (5mm - Stocking foot) that are very comfortable in cold, cold water. I still need to step out of the water and move my toes around after a bit in really cold weather, but I am usually comfortable in them fishing up til Dec 31 every year.

The waders are about 10 years old and I have abused them! I had to re-attach the knee pads because the glue seemed to have broken down (Aquaseal is great!) but other than that no other problems.

My complaint as you may have already guessed after reading their thickness at 5mm is that they are too HOT when it isn't freezing out. I am planning on going to a pair of breathables by next fall.

I have asked people with breathables how they fare in colder temperatures and I have heard the same thing from everyone. Treat them as if they were rain pants, and dress in layers underneath for your warmth as they have no insulating properties such as Neoprenes do.

If your feet really get cold you can always toss one of those disposable 'hot pockets' into each sock to keep your toes warm. I have done this before but it is a good idea to have a pair of socks between you and the hot pack ;)

Hope this information helps!

Tony

You can get a very decent pair of breathables at that price, just dont know about their durability over 3 yrs. cause I don't own any yet. The neoprenes, minimum 3mm, with polypropelene underwear, up to 5mm, heaver obviously, will do fine. Neoprenes are great, but do need maintenance and proper care, and you should buy the maintenance kits for them.

They are sure warm, almost too warm at times, depends on temperature on the day. If you buy the bootless ones, make sure you clean them often, and check the foot areas, they take a beating with regards to rocks, gravel, sand, etc. They usually come with neoprene gaitors, but they do not entirely prevent all that stuff from getting into your boots, and chaffing the fabric overlay on top of the neoprene.

I would try to find some breathables in your price range, boot foot, and dress accordingly for the conditions. You can always take off clothing if its too hot, or you are.

Definatley get breathables and layer up well underneath, neoprene is the absolute worst if youre gonna want to wear them in warmer weather. I have a neoprene boot on them and just wear the thick bass pro wool socks and have no problems with being cold even with -27 degree weather and wet feet. I have white river bass pro breathables which have done my great so far this season. thiy would fit your budget well (around 100$)

I would also sugest getting the colta boots with felt bottom to go with them(their about 70$ at LeBarons), remember to buy 1 or 2 sizes bigger for layering up.

If your actually wading why does it matter if your waders are made of a breathable material?

My personal experience with Gore Tex, Sympatex type breathable gear is that the waterproof qualities are temporary compared to rubber. Breathability is a bit of a myth, some moisture does escape but no where near enough to keep you from getting damp. Get the stuff dirty and breathabilty goes to zero and waterproof qualities suffer.

Durabilty is also and issue for me, I have a very high end Mountain Hardware shell coat and an ordinary Poplin Waxed fishing jacket. I would take the waxed coat over the gore tex most of the time.

My neoprene bootfoot Wardells are close to 20 years old and have never let me down on any level.

I'm convinced the Breathable stuff is nice and cozy and easy to wear but has no advantage over the tried and true rubber wader.

Neoprene HANDS DOWN for cold weather fishing .. and stocking foot ... all the way ... the key to staying warm (especially your feet) is to get the boots at least 2 sizes too big ... and wear some nice warm socks INSIDE your waders ... nothing makes your feet get cold faster than having too tight socks/boots ...oh .. and spend the extra $10 and get gravel guards ... worth it not just because they make your waders last .. but so you dont be walking with pebbles in your boots ... paininthebutt

You can get cheap(ish) boots at Zellers ... you'll go through them pretty quickly anyways ... I prefer felt soles so I pay a little more ...but the neopren waders will last you for years with a little care... I am on my second pair in just over 20 years .... and I fish ALOT.

On the other hand I used to go through a pair of 'regular' waders every couple years ... they always leaked sooner or later (usually sooner) right at the boot ... and nothing (except - maybe - too tight boots) makes your feet colder than being wet :)

Edited by camillj

Strictly speaking, for cold weather, you can't beat a pair of bootfoot neoprenes. That said, if you'll be doing any amount of walking bootfoot breathables are better. That's bootfoot, NOT stockingfoot. Stockingfoot waders will never keep your feet as warm as a pair of bootfoots when you're standing in ice water for any length of time.

I just picked up a pair of Orvis bootfoot breathables for $99 US ($158 Can. shipped to my door) from Adams Outlet. They're an ebay store and have a ton of these waders available in all kinds of sizes....

silverlabel_s_8_olive.jpg

Breathables all the way. In fact, if you live in Ottawa get down to Green Drake today and take advantage of the last day of their sale on Orvis stockingfoot breathables.

I have both, my Neoprenes are 5mm thick. They're equally warm in cold waters, but neoprenes are sweat machines in warmer weather. Good breathables are more durable in my opinion and, give you the advantage of use in all seasons. Float tubing the crotch wore a hole in the Neo's pretty quick, the breathables aren't seamed in the same place and are still keeping my nads nice and dry.

Listen to Solopaddler's advice! If you are looking to use them ONLY during very cold conditions, BOOTFOOT neoprenes are definitely the warmest. Otherwise, neoprenes are sweaty and uncomfortable.

Personally speaking I much prefer my breathables under most conditions...with proper layering and materials (fleece pants, polypropylene underwear) I'm never cold. The only times my neoprenes see the light of day are on extremely frigid days when I'm wading in deep water (such as at the mouth of Thornbury during the winter months).

Thanks for all the replies. I figure I will go with boot foot for one reason with a size 13eee foot the chances that I could find a pair of boots 2 sizes too big and wide enough to add extra layers of socks with a stocking foot wader of any type seems remote from the outfitter sites I have looked at. I think I will go with neoprene because I already have a set of PVC hip and chest waders that I don't mind wearing when the temps are higher.

My main concern is staying warm during Nov, Dec and March in really cold water.

Thanks again for the input.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I would have to agree with the neopreme waders in cooler cituations.

I have a pair of waist high waders made by Bare. They are warm and do not overheat me due to the waist high atributes....They go on like a pair of jeans with a belt and fit comfortably with very little pulling in certain areas when nealing and crotching over to land fish....

If your not interested in wading in up to your chest I highly recomend these waist high waders for warmth and comfort...

Cheers !!!

Solopaddler and Wallacio have it right. Bootfoot is best for cold weather, and bootfoot neoprenes are warmest of all. Stockingfoot are merely easier to walk in, when you're hoofing it on uneven terrain.

However, I bought a pair of bootfoot breathables some time ago and will never ever go back to neoprenes. The freedom of movement speaks for itself and they are far more adaptable to circumstances: wear light clothes in hot weather and heavy clothes (i.e. longjohns + fleece) in cold weather.

Ebay is a great place to look for breathables at a good price, and the stores on Ebay often have great stuff at good prices. I have a pair of bootfoot breathables from Chota and they are tougher by far than the pair Solo showed you, for about 20$ more (although I don't think there are any more available :(.

... these should last me for years beyond count as I have no hope of getting out as often as I used to before my twin sons were born (Dec 2005), future fishermen though they be :)

p.-

I was at basspro yesterday and they got some nice waders and good prices on there wading boots. I would take a look there. I'm pretty sure they sell bare there. I have a pair of 5mm neoprene chestwaders and the only problem that I have had is that sometimes they are to warm. I've in fished on many occasions around the minus 10 temps and never had a problem.

Cheers Jeff

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their opinions. Today I hit the "big sale" at BPS and got what I hope will be the right pair of waders for me. I got pair of Redman "Big Man neoprene 3.5 mil size 13 boot foot waders. They have 600 grams of thinsulate in the boot to hopefully keep my feet warm. I was very surpised at the room in the boot and should actually be able to put on a couple extra pairs of socks if necessary.... Very good price while on sale too, so much so that I dropped another 50.00 on hooks, floats, roe tying gear and some spinners for the fall salmon run that I have been looking for since I saw a guy reel in 3 in a row using that same lure last September o;) Bass Pro Shop what a country!!!!

NOW ice out can't come fast enough LOL.