braid issues

jedimaster

what would you guys use for a skipping rod setup for line? For this rod I go straight braid no leader so I would like to keep it in the 30 pound range.

skipping docks?....no braid is invincible.....if you're skippin docks and making contact against anything metal/rusted that could be your answer

as mentioned, check your guides and your reel to see if there is any damage

I've tried nearly most braids and keep going back to power pro, it's good stuff

Bring it back to the store or contact Shimano yourself. Great customer servie and I'm sure they will send you a new spool in replacement for that one. I didnt like the first generation of it but now have several 3000 yard spools of it and it is awesome. More smoother and casts easier now. I'm a beleiver in it for sure this season.

When I used lighter PP braid I used to get the odd breakoff from hard casts. Since there is no stretch it can be prone to breaking with a sudden force. I started using heavier braid and have had absolutely no issues.

You sure your knots are ok, or is it breaking in random places?

I have a serious dislike for PowerPro. I find holds a ton of water, the die runs all over you hands and reel when new, it frey very quickly and is does not tie well.

I have used Suffix on and off, but find its diameter quiet large in comparison to the other braids and screams on the rod guids.

The only Braid have I have been totally stisfied with (other than the old Spider wire they discontinued) is P-Line Spectrex. Very thin diameter, virtually zero frey, holds its colour and super tough. I run 40-50# on my bass gear (flippen sticks and frog rods) and 65-80# on my Musky stuff. Not so much as one break, even reefing on this lures wraped around steel dock legs, trees and 40lbs muskies.

Any zebra mussels where you fish? They can cut thru braid (even 40-50lb) like butter... dock posts/boat lifts/any underwater structure can be encrusted with these, and could be nicking or cutting your line...

I lost crankbaits on three succesive casts one time on Rice, went closer in to see what the heck was going on and found a big rockpile, encrusted with zebra mussels. I think that was 30lb PP on that reel. Two of my cranks floated back up though and were rescued!

Edited by Fisherpete