Epoxy Question - -NF

troutologist

Hope someone more knowledge can provide some help. I have to stick a plastic/resin part (bottom is roughed) to a stainless steel cradle of sorts. I'm not sure what the best type of adhesive agent would be.

The catch is it will be treated roughly, exposed to sea water and potentially be in temps down to -15C. Its for a satellite tag for walrus.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Jay Hamilton

Hope someone more knowledge can provide some help. I have to stick a plastic/resin part (bottom is roughed) to a stainless steel cradle of sorts. I'm not sure what the best type of adhesive agent would be.

The catch is it will be treated roughly, exposed to sea water and potentially be in temps down to -15C. Its for a satellite tag for walrus.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jay

Get yourself some U-40 Quick Bond 15 minute gel epoxy the stuff fills gaps and sticks like you wouldn't believe.

Make sure you prep the surfaces well so you get good adhesion.

U-40 Quick Bond

Sorry I can't help you with a product Jay but, if I were you and I had a little time to get this done, I'd be tempted to contact a chemical engineer type dude for some of the advesive companies out there like 3M and others. They could steer you to an existing product or a recipe. I also have a hunch that the product would be free for a chance at using your experience as an advertising tool for themselves. It would/could be a high profile example of their product's strength under extreme conditions....just a thought.

Do walruses really need XM/Sirius satellite radios? ;)

I'll enquire with my next door neighbour; he's an engineer with 3M. Wouldn't other marine tags (whales?) tags be adaptable?

Another thing that will work should 3M body side moulding tape.

The stuff they use to hold on body side mouldings, vent visors etc.

Installed properly it is extremely hard to remove.

I just bought some at Napa (15' roll of 1/2" wide tape was under $15).

Spoke to my neighbour. He said you might be looking for a urathane rather than an epoxy. With that said, we don't know if you're looking to create a mold or use it as a sealer/adhesive (part A stuck to part B ). He also added that something more pliable would be more resistent to the conditions you might be faced with. Stainless can be a challenge but they have a product that will stick to teflon so it's not insurmountable. He'll enquire at work next week and I'll get back to you.

Edited by SlowPoke

I've used an expoxy from West Systems on the bottom of my boat for 2 years now. Its a fiberglass patch on an aluminum boat. We used to use it at my old boat shop to hold in bulkheads, we used the name Plexus but its technical name was MA310, and MA330 for the hardener..

I just found a link:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=4882

Its been great for me, but sticking anything to plastic is always a little sketchy in my experience.

Prep of both pieces will be your best friend as far a bonding goes. Whatever you are applying epoxy to must be clean and roughed up either by sand paper or emery cloth. The prep is KEY to a good bond. You should post a picture of what you are tryig to accomplish.

A flexible epoxy gel is what you need, a urethane/epoxy will give you flexibilty you need as it will be dealing with temperature fluctations throughout its service life the immersion in salt water I dont really think is an issue.

Some flexible epoxy that comes to mind off the top of my head that I have used are,

http://www.tnemec.com/resources/product/pds/206.pdf

http://www.wrmeadows.com/wrm00055.htm

These are all flooring materials but as far as application would be all the same, materials are materials, as long as you get a good bond you are good to go. A primer may be in the cards also before the use ofthe flexible resin.

I dont know where you are located but I have some of this kicking around if you need some possibly to do a test.

Any questions let me know.